Info on Nikon SB-27

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in need for a very compact flash to use on a variety of cameras (not nikon) with xsync hotshoe. Of course, the flash will not TTL and be used in manual mode only. The goal here is compactness (usually used for fill and easy to fit in a pocket) and usability in full manual. As such, someone recommended that I check out the Nikon SB-27 shown here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/SB27/index.htm

Looks great and the trigger voltages seem to be low enough and it seems like a very small sized flash.

So questions for Nikonians out there with this flash:
- In manual mode, is it easy to adjust power to the flash? Ideally just an up and down button to control the power. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 power..
- Can I manually control the zoom head?
- Does it have an auto mode similar to the auto-thrystor flashes from Sunpack or Vivitar?
- The photos make the flash seem very compact.... is it really?
- Any opinions on the SB-27.. remember I'm using this flash in full manual mode only.

for reference..

My current flash unit for walk around is an old Sunpack Auto 422 D thrystor and for bigger flash jobs I use a Canon 550EX with high voltage battery pack (modified for D cells for fast recycle and batt life). Both are rather too large for my tastes... The other consideration is the Leica SF24D which will work in manual with all and TTL meter with some (a big plus). The problem as with many Leica products is the price tag... and I don't use flash enough to justify it. It also uses a camera battery of sorts rather than regular AAs which I can for see as inconvenient.

Size wise, I'm hoping for something the size of the Nikon SB-400 (even has a bounce head.. neat) but alas the SB-400 is not really compatible with anything but Nikon cameras.

Thanks ahead for your opinions... any other very compact, full manual flash I should consider.

Yes it has an auto mode you can see that on the website you linked to. All Nikons above and including at least the SB-10 have this.

The flash is the same size as the SB-10 which I have here. I wouldn't say it's compact but it is not tall. This can be a curse if you're going to use it on camera since it'll be much closer to the lens axis. It is still quite bulky but by virtue of it's thinness it can fit in a pocket. It's definitely bigger than the SB-400

The rest I can only make assumptions. Nikon is very good with giving options in their flash. I would assume that you could easily control power, and easily control zoom, but someone else would need to confirm it.

Good luck finding one. They get nabbed by strobists quite quickly so you may end up in a bidding war for one.

Thanks for your response and input.

I did notice the auto setting in the switch but it is not clear if Auto means that it can automatically communicate with the camera to set exposure like Nikon's iTTL or Canon's ETTL or automatic exposure determined from the flash's internal Thryster sensor.

Thanks for the heads up... I'll make sure to stay out of the bidding war since whole point is ~not~ to spend as much as it would have been to purchase the Leica flash.

btw... I went to the local shop with the same question (no SB-27 on the shelf) and he basically said I'm looking for something that doesn't exist.

the search continues.

Most reactions

Back