Info request: Antique Camera

dpfunk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This apparently belonged to my great grandfather. Can anyone help me with anymore information? I believe it to be from around 1900-1915. It looks like a Manhattan Optical Wizard, but there's no plate to identify the model.

Any information you have is appreciated.

QQ8XfIG.jpg

cPDWIly.jpg

golqo0d.jpg

RbfK6w7.jpg

A very similar unit is listed here: It looks like a relatively standar medium-format field camera from the early part of the 20th century. Know what size it is (the dimensions of the glass panel at the back) as well as the serial number from the lens might well help in learning more about it. Overall it looks like a nice, clean unit, albeit not terribly special. It also looks like it may have been re-bellowed since all the literature seems to indicate that this company preferred red leather for their bellows.

A very similar unit is listed here: It looks like a relatively standar medium-format field camera from the early part of the 20th century. Know what size it is (the dimensions of the glass panel at the back) as well as the serial number from the lens might well help in learning more about it. Overall it looks like a nice, clean unit, albeit not terribly special. It also looks like it may have been re-bellowed since all the literature seems to indicate that this company preferred red leather for their bellows.
Don't you mean LARGE format

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Nope.

Nope.
Well that is a large format camera

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.
No problem, not that it tells you much. Hopefully one of our antique experts will be along soon; I'm sure they can shed a lot more light on this than I can.

Thanks for the help.
No problem, not that it tells you much. Hopefully one of our antique experts will be along soon; I'm sure they can shed a lot more light on this than I can.

It looks like the plate is 5x7. It also says "12 in" on the lens. Where would I look for the serial number on the lens?

That is a Korona View Camera. Some info in the link below. May lead to other info. Hope this helps. Looks to be in terrific shape from the pics. Amazing.

Gundlach-Manhattan Optical Co. Korona View Camera, Variation 1

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm no expert, but I have to disagree. The rails (?), back plate and lens look totally different.
OK. It appears there were variations. The link was provided to possibly give you additional info. I found one even closer looking from the links on the left.

That is a Korona View Camera. Some info in the link below. May lead to other info. Hope this helps. Looks to be in terrific shape from the pics. Amazing.

Gundlach-Manhattan Optical Co. Korona View Camera, Variation 1

I'm no expert, but I have to disagree. The rails (?), back plate and lens look totally different.
OK. It appears there were variations. The link was provided to possibly give you additional info. I found one even closer looking from the links on the left.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Anywhere on the lens that you see a unique set of numbers. Looking at the third image just above the two horizontal-ish nickle-plated straps and below the shutter-speed idal there seem to be markings which I can't make out. Could those be an S/N?

Nicely preserved. Would not be unusual if the bellows was changed out. From the above link it looks very similar to the Wizard with the Manhattan Optical lens. Were there more plates in the case? No big wooden tripod?
It also looks like some of those lenses could be taken apart and used individually to give different focal lengths. Very interesting.
Doesn't look too much different from the newer large format cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back