Infra Red using Ilford SPX200

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've done one roll of Kodak HIE as per Terri's fantastic instructions. I also want to try the Ilford SPX200 infrared film. Can anyone recomend a good starting point for this film? The datasheet says set to iso200 and go +2 stops for a #25 red filter. Can anyone confirm this?

Glad you had success with the HIE. :thumbsup:

I've shot a couple rolls of the Ilford. I set it at 200. I don't recall doing anything particularly special with it, other than metering TTL with the filter in place, and bracketing accordingly. That's why I love using the #25 filter; it's the perfect density as far as I'm concerned.

I recently shot a roll of the SFX in Zion. I bracketed - normal, + 1/2 and + 1 stop. Most of the shots were exposed properly just as metered (no correction). I'd set the camera to 200 iso and go shoot. Have fun! :mrgreen:

Its great film and versital as long as you use the 25 red filter. I have shot a few rolls and got the " IR LOOK" but from what I have seen from me shooting this and the actual IE film by kodak is not the same actual IR film is much prettier and the effect is a lot greater. Ilford comes close but its not as nice as the kodak IR.

BernieSC said:
Its great film and versital as long as you use the 25 red filter. I have shot a few rolls and got the " IR LOOK" but from what I have seen from me shooting this and the actual IE film by kodak is not the same actual IR film is much prettier and the effect is a lot greater. Ilford comes close but its not as nice as the kodak IR.
Well, it isn't a true IR film, so there's no way it can measure up to the HIE, you're right. ;) It does boast an extended red sensitivity, so it can record infrared radiation, but not to the same extent as HIE. :) I like it because you can take the filter off and on and go from IR effect to straight B&W. Cool stuff.

Wow talk about starting a thread and then forgetting it. Stupid work has been hounding me all week. I have soo much stuff to catchup on it's not funny.

Anyway so the Illford SFX200 should be set at 200 and bracketed +/-1 stop like the Kodak HIE (which I use now at 400).
Photogodness do you only bracket into the +? So you find that metreing at ISO200 is gives longest exposure you need? As usual I'd rather not take more then 3 shots for a given subject.

Bernie define true IR. I hope you're not talking about the halo on Kodak HIE because that's a sideeffect of film production :)

Anyway i've asked for the SFX200 or HIE for christmas. PhotoContinental stock both but had written 1 in stock for the SFX200 and marked it as discontinued. Not sure what's the go there. Either way there'll be some IR photography over my christmas break :)

Most reactions

Back