Infrared film, exposure and flash

Skyeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My teacher wants me to shoot a roll of infrared film, i assume you can go by the meter, how do you know what f stop and shutter speed?

also, i want to use a flash on some of it. can i use the infrared filter that came with my camera(to be used to trigger a remote flash) or do i need to make one with a sheet of infrared film? how do know what to set the camera to when useing the flash?

thanks for your help

Didn't your teacher give you any hints at all??? :wink:

Are you using Kodak HIE? I'm guessing you are since it's the best 35mm IR out there. :D I typically use a #25 red filter, although ksmattfish can tell you how to use a sheet of film as a filter, if you want to try it.

The biggest concern is handling the film; load and unload in total darkness to avoid light leaks and fogging. There is no magic number to follow as far as f stop or shutter speed; for your first roll just listen to your meter and bracket like you would anything else. I've read about "generally" not going over f22 or under f8, but without one of my exposure logs in front of me, I can't say if I've followed that. :wink: It's a fairly easy film to use, really.

I'll let someone else weigh in on using the flash, as I've mainly shot this film outdoors. Good luck!

yes, i am using HIE

i knew it had be loaded in dark..thats about all my teacher did tell me :roll:im going to use a 25 red filter on my lens, when you said that did you ean you use that on the flash? i was asking about a filter on the flash, i may not have been very clear.

also, what abotu focusing? one of the lenses i planed on using doesnt have the little red dot, line, or R. do i still try to adjust it? or should i just make sure i have a enough dof?

Oh, I'm sorry - you DID mean filter for flash, I skimmed it too quickly the first time. Again, I've not used flash with HIE so I am not the one to advise you, but I have seen some lovely stuff from ksmattfish where he talked about using a piece of film over his flash. I think there is a thread about IR where he has a few images in the Alternative Forum - check it out.

About that little red dot - I've never gone by that and I've never had focusing issues - not once. But again, it all depends on what you're shooting. Are you carrying an exposure log? You'll have 36 exposures, that means plenty of room for experimenting.

i try to write down all the info for most photos but sometimes i dont, im planing to on this.

she wants me to bracket everything +/- 1 and 2 stops, do you think thats too much bracketing? i was thinking maybe everything +/- 1 stop, because i dont really want to use up 5 frames for every shot i want. what do you think?

I've been known to do that exact thing, especially if I'm somewhere that I won't be visiting again anytime soon. There may be a specific comparison thing your teacher has in mind for this assignment, so just do it (and make notes on your exposure log).

Take an extra roll along and a changing bag, if you think you'll run out of film and you think you have lots to shoot. Otherwise, don't sweat it! :D

I think this is the main IR thread of previous discussion:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2188

IR film is also sensitive to visible light, as well as the invisible IR. The reason to use a filter on the lens is to block out visible light so that you get the cool IR effect. If you are using a filter on the lens, then you don't need one on the flash.

I have used a filter on the flash, and none on the lens at night in bars to hide the flash. Since there isn't much visible or IR light around at night I didn't need a filter on the lens. I used a double layer of E-6 (120 size) that was developed unexposed as a flash filter; this blocks a whole lot of visible light, but lets IR through. Cheaper than the actual filter.

There is no way to know exactly how accurately your meter reads IR without some experimentation. Same with your flash; two different flashes, both GN 100 with visible light, may kick out different levels of IR light. Bracket extensively and take notes.

Does anyone have experience using Konica IR 750? I got a roll recently, thinking I would try some IR out. I also ordered a 25 filter. Unfortunately when I got my order, it occured to me that I hadn't paid much attention and I ordered a 120 roll and a filter to fit my 35mm cam. Ooops! :? So if I run the roll through my Holga without a filter, will that work ok? Will the Holga possibly have too much light leak and fog it all?

I've been wanting to try IR through my Holga, but I totally fear light leaks. :shock:

Have you taped up your Holga on the inside, too? I mean, we Holga users know it's a given to tape the back and and sides, but I turned mine over to a fellow enthusiast and he put tape where I wouldn't have thought to.

Cover up every possible light source you can, and go give it a whirl!! :D Oooo, I'm excited to see the results!

terri said:
I've been wanting to try IR through my Holga, but I totally fear light leaks. :shock:

Have you taped up your Holga on the inside, too? I mean, we Holga users know it's a given to tape the back and and sides, but I turned mine over to a fellow enthusiast and he put tape where I wouldn't have thought to.

Cover up every possible light source you can, and go give it a whirl!! :D Oooo, I'm excited to see the results!
Oh man... If you can pull that off, my hat goes off to you.

I have put some tape on the inside. I also took the little middle thing that you pop up to get the 6x6 and I had my bf dremel it out it out for me so that I can try using it to still get squares, but to hopefully cover up whatever spot tends to make the big triangle light leak at the top, since I never get that if I shoot with it in (which made the 4x6s (isn't that right?) before, but will now be a weird square) If that makes any sense... anyway, hopefully I will try it out soon and report back!

Then I will also need to order a roll of 35mm IR so I can actually use the filter I bought! I will order Kodak HIE next time, I was just feeling cheap when I bought the Konica. :D

I actually think I have some expired Konica 750 still in the fridge. Seems I recall the hubby bitching that he over-bought last time, and there may be 1-2 rolls left. Probably still perfectly usable, too, since it's been in the fridge. Even so, it won't hurt me at all if I do end up with some foggy film, and I know my Holga is taped pretty well.

*pretty well* is relative, of course, since we're talking Holga here. :wink:

Supposed to be overcast and kind of rainy this weekend, but if I see a break and get out at all, I'm going to give it a try too! :D

Am i mistaken, or isn't a Holga a point and shoot, with the exposure set at 125th of a second? If so, your gonna have a hell of a time finding enough light thru a 25A filter to make it work. I used 2 rolls of Macophot set at ASA 64 this weekend. There couldn't have been anymore sunlight on my subjects. (high desert) But thru that filter i was still getting exposure times of 20th of a sec and so on. I think the fastest i got was 1/60th of a sec. and that was on a bracket.

I'm with Marc if you can pull that off i would be impressed.

I shot my roll of Konica on Friday and plan to develop it tonight. I did not use a filter tho, as I would have had to hold it up in front on the lens each shot, and I was taking pics while riding my bike, so I didn't want to deal. Yes, the Holga is a fixed shutter speed (1/100) and 2 apertures (f/8 and f/11). According to the Konica info, without using a filter the film rates at 32 ASA. So I plan to develop the hell out of it and see what I get!

Most reactions

Back