InfraRed Filter for D50

Parago

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.. so (like so many others) I fell in love with Infra Red photography, I did a couple of things in photoshop but nothing even remotely close to what I want to be doing, if you know what I mean. :sexywink:

What filter should I get and what do I need to pay attention to?

The most popular is the Hoya RM-72. Be sure to get the correct filter size for the lens you intend to use it on. Some lenses will produce flaring in infrared photos. I can't tell you what Nikon lenses, because I'm a Canon user. Use a tripod, because exposure are quite long, even in bright sun.

Matt.. something else.. I saw your 'Infrablue' on deviantart.. it's amazing, that's exactly what I'm talking about. So.. when you say that you used your Canon plus the Hoya Filter, is that all you need to create a picture like 'Infrablue'? How much post-work did you put into the shot?

Ok, nevermind, should've read the tutorial first. :lol:

Yes, it's pretty much explained all in that tutorial. The best thing you can do is just try it out and go from there.

yeah the R72 filter works fine with the D50 and kit lens... as well as other low cost lenses like the 50mm 1.8.... so you will be fine with that ;)

Cool, I'll check where I can get one and I'll also read more about it.. I don't know what got me so fascinated by those kind of pictures, all I know is I want to create pictures with the same vibe..

I wouldn't bother with an IR filter on the end of my lens, when I replace my D70, i'm going to have the IR filter on it taken out and replaced with some R72. That way, I can still use it normally with AF, and still shoot at 1/8000th, just with a really wonky effect.

Most reactions

Back