Infrared Photography

MSaboe84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a Nikon D60 last fall. So I love B&W photography. Even more so, I love B&W infrared photography. Unfortunately, I know nothing about fancy cameras. Due to growing up in poor finances I used disposables all the way to my senior year of college. Then, I got a Canon powershot which had faulty exposure, but had no chance to return it as I was moving to China in a week. I still got some decent shots with later photo editing. Now, a year later, I spent the money I don't have on a Nikon D60. I'm still learning how to use it and I have always LOVED LOVED LOVED infrared photos. So I bought a HOYA R-72 Infrared Filter 52mm for my lens, only to read on the internet that I have to take my camera somewhere to have it modified to be able to take infrared photos. I called the camera shops in my city and none of them even do this? I have no idea, where to look, where to go, what to do....can someone give me some tips?

I've also heard that once you switch your camera to infrared compatibility, it can only do infrared, unless you pay big moola again to have it switched back? is that right? i mean, i'd probably still do it. i'd just have to get another body. "just get another body." haha! it all sounds so simple :)

You can do infrared processing in some photo editing programs after the fact. Photoshop has an option to add an infrared adjustment layer that you can tweak to your liking, and it works quite well. I've never heard of equipping a DSLR with something that enables it to take infrared shots, but I wouldn't want to lose the other capabilities of the camera just for that. I'd suggest looking into software before you do anything to the camera.

You can have your camera converted to IR (Life pixel, ext.) Choosing this path the camera would only be able to shoot in IR. But, it eliminates the use of a filter and really long exposures. Your DSLR should be fine with just the filter. It ill require long exposures. So a tripod and shutter release is helpful.

I'm kinda new to IR myself so anyone feel free to correct me. I hope this helps.

-G

I'm kinda new to IR myself so anyone feel free to correct me. I hope this helps.

-G

Sounds right to me.

MSaboe, Ebag is right - All you need is the filter you already have. The conversions will let you shoot IR (and only IR) without any filters.

If you have a spare body and love IR, you might consider having it converted. Otherwise, you can do just fine using the filter.

The only things the converted body will give you over the filtered one are 'normal' exposure times, and being able to see through the viewfinder.
That's two pretty big advantages, but the cost is having a body that can only shoot IR. Might be worth it, might not be.

Most reactions

Back