minister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI
recently I bought IR 720 filter to try my hand on infrared photography
I am using D90 and tamron 17-50

All I want to do for now Is make a black and white photo out of these photo like these
White Balance in Infrared Photography « Photofocus

But do not get those pure white trees or grass
I am posting pure images from camera and converted black and white after auto toning

Please help me where i am wrong in the whole process

I know my tammy creating center hot spot but I guess it is nothing to do with my problem

Exif -

D90
Tamron 17mm
f-8
4 sec
ISO-160

6227080814_defc421569_b.jpg
[/URL] DSC_0162 by Shaikhji, on Flickr[/IMG]

6227081358_06f1db2d91_b.jpg
[/URL] black by Shaikhji, on Flickr[/IMG]

The photos in the link you provided were not made with a IR filter on a lens. They were made using a camera that has had the image sensor converted so it can only image the IR portion of the light spectrum. That conversion entails removing the IR blocking portion of the filter set that is in front of the image sensor.

Your camera still has an IR blocker in front of the image sensor that is blocking the IR light the IR 720 filter lets pass through the lens to the image sensor.

yes you are right but , do you think the photo I am getting is the best I can Get with the filter , All I am after is white leaf/tree ,some how I want that look
can u help me in that ?

Either use the filter you have on a film camera, convert a digital body over to IR (remove the IR filter in front of the sensor), or use post-processing software filters to simulate the look.

yes you are right but , do you think the photo I am getting is the best I can Get with the filter , All I am after is white leaf/tree ,some how I want that look
can u help me in that ?
I just did. Have the IR blocking filter removed from the filter array in front of your camera's image sensor if you want the trees to be white.

Or as tirediron suggests, use a film camera and the lens filter.

Either use the filter you have on a film camera, convert a digital body over to IR (remove the IR filter in front of the sensor), or use post-processing software filters to simulate the look.

what software you suggest ?
I tried with PS channel mixer but couldn't ,

What camera are you using? It is harder to do IR work with the newer cameras as they have a stronger blocking IR filter built into the camera.

Your file should show the trees as white even before the converstion to black and white, which leads me to believe your camera body is not going to provide you with a file that will do what you want.

As has been suggested, you need to convert that camera to IR work, which means it is now dedicated to that style, or buy a camera for IR work. There are several sites that can provide that product for you. Check out Life PIxel or MAXMAX.

Find an older camera on ebay that will let you use that filter and doesn't have such a strong blocking IR filter. Your times will be long and you will need a tripod but the results will be what your looking for. CHeck out an older D100.

Snowbear, yes, check out Freestyle, they have an IR from Europe, but that is about all that is available these days.

Most reactions

Back