Infrared with the Digital Rebel and the Hoya R72

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. If anyone was doubting the Digital Rebel's ability to shoot IR, here's the proof that it's more than capable. Let me know what you think. Criticism is always welcomed :)

- 15 seconds at ISO 200, f/11
- ISO 400, f/4.5, 20 seconds.
- ISO 400, 1/3 sec, f/1.8

The first and last were shot with the 50mm f/1.8. The middle shot was taken with the 18-55mm kit lens, and there was a nasty hotspot that I tried to clone out, but you can still see it. That lens, and other cheap zooms don't work well for infrared.

A few other shots and some different angles of the first one can be found here.

Thanks! :)

Really great pictures you have here Matt. The third one is amazing! IR is definitely possible with digital cameras since many digital cameras pick up atleast some IR light. I've seen many great IR pictures from several different DSLR cameras. Anyway, once again cool shots. I've been meaning to get into IR myself. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

I getting this filter! I spent a few hours last night trying to get a similar effect in PS and I just wasn't happy with the outcome. Thanks for sharing these, they are GREAT!

Thanks everyone :)

The funny thing is that you have to compose the shot and focus with the filter off, then carefully put the filter on, and be careful no to change your focus :p Stopping down to f11 or further helps alot to make sure things are in focus.

Nice shots Matt. Where did you get your R72? I ordered one and it was backordered for a few months... I cancelled the order a little while back.

Digital Matt said:
Thanks Voodocat. I ordered it from Adorama.
ahh.. If it wasn't so darn spendy for the 67mm filter :? The place I ordered it from had it for $56.

What lens are you using it on? You have to be careful because a lot of zoom lenses will give you nasty hotspots. I got a 52mm size for my 50mm f/1.8.

With the kit 18-70mm lens. I haven't seen a single hotspot with the d70 and any lens. I've seen some gorgeous IR shots with that lens that sold me on digital IR.

Another thing you can try is take 2 shots. One IR and one without. Combine the shots in PS with the normal shot's blending mode set to color I believe. I'll have to grab that photo mag I read it in to tell you for sure.

I wish there was no hotspot with my kit lens, because the 50mm always leaves me wanting to go wider. I would have bought the filter for my Tamron 17-35, but it's a 77mm filter size, and that size Hoya R72 is $262.50 :p

Ouch.

Digital Matt said:
I wish there was no hotspot with my kit lens, because the 50mm always leaves me wanted to go wider. I would have bought the filter for my Tamron 17-35, but it's a 77mm filter size, and that size Hoya R72 is $262.5 :p

Ouch.
Amazing how a few extra mm gets so damn expensive. I was debating going with the 72mm size in case I get some of the other wide angle lenses but that's a huge step up in price too. I think it's around $150.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back