Infrared

You can do a custom white balance if you want. It's just easier to fix the wb in the raw file, and you'll probably get a more accurate result anyway. If you want reasons to shoot raw, there's been lots of threads debating raw vs jpg lately.

Digital Matt said:
You can do a custom white balance if you want. It's just easier to fix the wb in the raw file, and you'll probably get a more accurate result anyway. If you want reasons to shoot raw, there's been lots of threads debating raw vs jpg lately.

Thanks for clearing that up. I do shoot jpeg+raw and save the raw files to a cd until I become familiar with what exaclty to do with them. I have only had my camera for about 2 weeks and PE4 for about a week so I am not completely sure what I am doing (I am coming from a point and shoot.)

The reason I wanted to do the custom white balance is b/c I am not sure how to process a raw image yet and I like to see results now, not when I learn how to do it. The levels may not be exact as if I did WB with a raw file but at least this way I can see results now and improve them as I get more experience. I guess this way leaves more room for improvement. Thanks for all the help, I am slowly but surely learning.

Yeah I want to the only local camera store within a 1 hour drive today and they told me they don't carry Hoya Filters but their promaster line is made by Hoya (any truth to this?) and tried to pass off a #25 red filter as being as good for infrared shots as a Hoya 72.

I walked out.

Rashadan, it's true you can use a #25 red filter for infrared. Just search for infrared on the forum for heaps of info re: different filters etc.

Meysha said:
Rashadan, it's true you can use a #25 red filter for infrared. Just search for infrared on the forum for heaps of info re: different filters etc.
But not for many digital cameras. It lets too much visible light through and overrides any IR you get. If you aren't using actual IR film, you probably need to use a filter that's deeper into IR.

--

That $350 modification you mentioned earlier is just that: a modification to the camera. It swaps the glass that filters out IR and lets visible light through with a piece that filters out visible light and lets IR through. After that, every shot is an IR shot, until you put the original glass back in.

You also mentioned PS filters for the IR effect, but I haven't seen one yet that really looks like IR to me. They might have that "feel" to them, but it's just not the same.

Meysha said:

Yes, I know I could have used the #25 but that is not what I wanted and in my eyes it would have been settling for something less than what I wanted.

I have seen photo's done with the #25 and they just don't have the look I am trying for.

Rashadan said:
I got mine from B&H for the amazon price by calling them and I didn't have to wait on amazon's 9 day shipping.

I have amazon prime so I would only have 2 day shipping but now that I think of it, it was shipped directly from Adorama and I got it 2-3 days after ordering it. Now if I could only figure out how to swap the color channels to get rid of the red tint...

Most reactions

Back