Ink Doesn't Stick in Black and White. Why???

Dean_Gretsch

Papa
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tried printing a few B&W photos this past week and you can rub the ink right off the paper. I have no problems at all with color photos. Anyone have this problem before or any ideas why? I am using glossy papers if that makes a difference.

What type of printer?
Who made the paper?
Water or solvent based ink? Or is it actually a dye?
Is the paper compatible with the ink/dye you are using?
Is it a glossy paper or does the paper have some 'tooth'?

What type of printer?
Who made the paper?
Water or solvent based ink? Or is it actually a dye?
Is the paper compatible with the ink/dye you are using?
Is it a glossy paper or does the paper have some 'tooth'?

Factory ink / cartridge or after-market?
Recommended paper for printer?

A bit more specific, please. Model number of printer,..... specific ink & paper.....

I had that problem with my Canon PIXMA IP8750 using Canon ink and paper. It was down to the settings in the printer driver - this was a year or so ago and i cannot remember the details but I had a colour cast as well.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for replies. @480sparky The printer is an HP Envy 4520 series. Paper is HP Advanced Photo. Ink is standard ink direct from HP. I am on their auto mail program. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I make it a point not to touch the surface of a printed photo for at least a couple of minutes after it's printed. I sometimes spread them out to dry for 30 minutes or more, as well.

My Epson printers use water-based ink, and when printing on glossy photo paper, it sometimes comes out looking 'wet'. Printing pictures on regular printer paper will actually -feel- wet to the touch, and even look wet from the backside, especially in darker (blacker) areas.

I didn't find a date on the paper, but now that I think about it, I have had it for a year now. Would black ink be different than color somehow? @bratkinson the photos had been printed 12 hours prior and still the ink would rub off.

Last edited:
With my Canon printer, there are two black inks - one is pigment and the other is dye. The pigment ink will not soak into the paper in the same way that the dye ink does and is intended for text on plain paper..

The only time I have seen ink rub off of photo paper is when it is loaded into the printer incorrectly and you print on the wrong side of the paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have certainly been wrong before, but isn't the glossy side the correct side;)

I am not familiar with your printer but are you using the correct printer/paper profile? Perhaps using a profile for a mat paper on glossy?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back