Innocence

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There are a number of things I don't like about this shot; it's backlighted, there was a stick between me and the deer, he was in deep shadow on an overcast day so I had to shoot at 1/13 second at 380mm wide open, and I think it moved it's head slightly during that 1/13 second (probably heard the mirror slap). Regardless, you gotta admit it has a pretty high "Awwwwwwwwww" factor ;)

2013-08-17-02.jpg

Nice shot even with the stick. I seem to never get a good shot of a wild deer.

Cute photo yes. I notice the stick has long thorns growing out of it, like maybe it's a Hawthorn tree that's been gnawed down by the deer??? My grandfather told me that "back in the day" people would plant Hawthorn trees aka "thorn trees" as hedgerows, to keep livestock from going through the hedgelines between fields.

Thanks, guys. He was quite comfortable and I tried to not disturb him.

We are apparently in the middle of "White Tail Central". White Tail Deer are EVERYWHERE around here. This was one of 11 I saw this morning. One day a couple of years ago I walked around a small lake at another area and counted 38 during the 2-mile trip around the lake.

We have a number of Wildlife Management Areas, State Parks, Natural Areas, etc. in the area, and this was taken at one of them this morning. In most of them the deer are so accustomed to people that we can walk right up on them. They usually just stand and watch me until I start to raise my camera and then they are gone. They are generally unafraid of people but that lack of fear apparently only goes so far ;)

One of the rifle and pistol ranges here is built on some TVA property (TVA is the Tennessee Valley Authority that handles all electrical power generation in this area, coal-fired, hydroelectric, nuclear, all of them) that is also a wildlife management area. It's federal property and nobody would even dream of shooting a deer there. The deer are so tame that they walk out onto the shooting range to graze, and won't move until someone goes down and runs them off. I went downrange once to run one off and got within 10' before he ran, and even then he only went a few yards and stopped again. I chased him around for 15 minutes trying to get him off the range and he thought we were playing.

Edit ...
Just to show how tame the deer are around here, this is one of my favorite White Tail shots. Not because it's such a great photo but because it was taken at a distance of 6 meters. Look close and you can see a Mosquito biting the deer under its left ear, and a tick over the top of its left eye.

2012-09-23-06.jpg

Last edited:
Cute photo yes. I notice the stick has long thorns growing out of it, like maybe it's a Hawthorn tree that's been gnawed down by the deer??? My grandfather told me that "back in the day" people would plant Hawthorn trees aka "thorn trees" as hedgerows, to keep livestock from going through the hedgelines between fields.

That stick could be anything based on my lack of experience with trees and plants. Trees fall into one of two categories for me; Dead or not dead. My mom was a huge wildflower gardener and could name virtually anything that grows. My sister comes close to her in ability. I'm the dunce of the family and cannot tell one plant from another.

This shot was taken about 8:30 this morning, during the time when the deer are feeding so it's quite possible it was part of his breakfast. I've seen them get lazy and lay down like that, then eat whatever happens to be within reach of their head without getting up so you could well be right. They tend to graze early in the day then find a quiet spot to sleep through the hot part of the day. There were two of them laying there about 20' apart just taking it easy.

Last edited:
Isn't it weird that deer have like... not a long tail... not a short tail... but an inbetween thing. It's like the only animal that has that.

And yes... awww. :)

Isn't it weird that deer have like... not a long tail... not a short tail... but an inbetween thing. It's like the only animal that has that.

Well, um, to be honest I've never given it a lot of thought but I guess you're right. They are also prone to use that tail in a most annoying manner. When they run, normally a millisecond before the shutter opens, that tail flies behind them like a middle finger ;)

OK, I give up. I've been sitting here actually trying to think of some other critter with an in-between tail and I can't. So, as usual you are right and I've wasted another 10 minutes of my life :lmao:

Well, um, to be honest I've never given it a lot of thought but I guess you're right. They are also prone to use that tail in a most annoying manner. When they run, normally a millisecond before the shutter opens, that tail flies behind them like a middle finger ;)

OK, I give up. I've been sitting here actually trying to think of some other critter with an in-between tail and I can't. So, as usual you are right and I've wasted another 10 minutes of my life :lmao:

hahahahahahahaha.... EPIC WIN.

:LOL:!!!!!!!!

BTW, Craig, LOVE that second shot of the squirrel (note: LONG TAIL) in the tree. :)

BTW, Craig, LOVE that second shot of the squirrel (note: LONG TAIL) in the tree. :)

Thanks! I do to and I really don't know why. All that yellow around the subject makes the squirrel look a little underexposed and pulls the eye away from the subject, but I still like it for some reason.

Most reactions

Back