Input please

The lighting of the scene is interesting - late afternoon. The clouds can be described as 'painterly'. The composition? I'd retain the top, right and bottom margins and crop to a square format or even crop further in from the left to eliminate the portion of the pier in shadow entirely. The important thing is to get rid of the figure on the left. The general softness of the picture is part and parcel of its charm. High-end gear which can produce razor-sharp images has nothing to do with lighting and composition in this type of image.

Make up a pair of 'L's out of cardboard and use them to explore your prints for better composition.

personaly I think the camera dose matter because depending on what type you have causes you to have unlimited or limited ability. The camera you have effects the photos you take. You CAN get good pictures out of any camera but I think its best to have several even though I myself only have one but I am in school and I am supported by my husband therefore I really dont have the money for very many different cameras. For me also its easy on my pocket and on his.

Flash Harry said:
Its nice to have a decent tool for the job but having a good eye is more important, I've seen stuff shot with pro cameras + top lens by very well off amatuers that were rubbish and also seen stuff done by students with basic early 90's slr's that made your jaw drop, having the best gear doesn't make you a photographer.
I agree with what you've said, however there's more to be said.

There is a certain level of quality which no inferior equipment can surpass regardless of the talent using the lesser equipment.
Any amount of talent can be improved with continued effort. Ultimately, the greatest chances for producing the greatest results lie with the greatest equipment.

As for me, I first want the best camera/lens I can afford. I'll put forth the effort necessary for training in the most compitent use of the equipment

I have spent around US$10,000 on video cameras and accessory and books and training videos. I have not earned a cent from this hobby. And I don't want to spent a cent on still camera anymore. I will only spent my time learning and experimenting art. That is it. That is just me. Hope no more talking on buying another camera etc.

Regards
Leigh

A while back, I accepted a challenge to take some pictures with both a 'good' 35mm SLR and a disposable camera. I did not photograph the same scene with both rigs. All photos were 'landscapes', shot in the Lake Wallenpaupack region of the Pokonos on the same afternoon during a three hour period. Prints were of uniform size, matted, and judged at 'normal' viewing distance. 'Smelling' a print was not permitted.

Non-photographers, who do not yet know to check grain structure and acutance, were uniformly in agreement that it was impossible to relate print impact to the specific camera type. Please note the use of the word 'impact' as opposed to 'quality', 'sharpness', 'bokah' and other bits of hip photography wonk jargon.

Could you explain the meaning of the word 'impact' relative to its usage in your sentance?

Sure. 'Impact' is simply that which makes a viewer, when looking at a series of prints, slow down for a longer look at a specific print. I could have used 'interest-holding' or 'attention-getting' or 'content-rich' just as well. The idea was to divorce, as best as I could, the factors of subject choice/lighting/composition from the mechanics of the photographic process.

That said, I'm well aware of the benefits of good equipment and find pleasure in its use. There's also pleasure to be found in wandering about with retro gear, though it's of a different kind. I suppose I was trying to say that just because a person can't afford the latest and greatest, it doesn't mean that pictures with real head-turning potential are out of reach. They're not.

Torus34 said:
I was trying to say that just because a person can't afford the latest and greatest, it doesn't mean that pictures with real head-turning potential are out of reach. They're not.
We agree.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back