Instagram Censors Photo of Fully Clothed Woman on Period, Causes Uproar

You know thinking on it we'd probably have moved that to the NSFW section here. Instagram hasn't got one of them though.

Context is important; that photo posted on its own without the attention brought to it and chances are we'd have had reports here. Right now though I suspect we'd have the opposite effect because of this situation; which you can take however you want though if it results in promotion of acceptance over natural body events then I'd say its a good thing

It is a very degrading picture of a woman. That seem to be the way to day, we allow degrading of a person or a group of people out of fear or ignorance. "First Amendment does not give one the right to yell "Fire" in a theater"--Justice Oliver W. Holmes.

It is a very degrading picture of a woman. That seem to be the way to day, we allow degrading of a person or a group of people out of fear or ignorance. "First Amendment does not give one the right to yell "Fire" in a theater"--Justice Oliver W. Holmes.

Actually what is meant is that one should not yell fire if there isn't fire.

I don't find the picture particularly appealing but it is meant to be provocative and it's working quite well.
Maybe you find it appalling, unpleasant, even disgusting but saying it is 'degrading' doesn't seam right.
Does it degrade women?
There is no implication that she was forced into posing.
You don't like it but you don't speak either for everyone else or for all woman.
Perhaps your response is what the picture is meant to expose?
That woman who are having their menses should not be considered as disgusting and that a natural act shouldn't be a cause for disgust.

Of course I speaking for myself. Forced is not just physical. Forced comes in many different ways. Woman in the picture may have not known what the person taking the picture wanted. In fact did the person taking the picture known what he or she wanted from the picture? If it was to expose. Expose what? To show a natural act is should a way is taking advantage of woman who has no control over it, than the picture itself become degrade .
PS: Read books on Trotsky and his own works. He use a hammer for every thing.

okay. I just thought it was a little gross, but mostly just stupid. Nothing real enlightening here. Not provocative. Just .. stupid. Attention seeker raising a dramatic no cause flag. They should kick her out of university just for being stupid and a little twacked.

Of course I speaking for myself. Forced is not just physical. Forced comes in many different ways. Woman in the picture may have not known what the person taking the picture wanted. In fact did the person taking the picture known what he or she wanted from the picture? If it was to expose. Expose what? To show a natural act is should a way is taking advantage of woman who has no control over it, than the picture itself become degrade .
PS: Read books on Trotsky and his own works. He use a hammer for every thing.

Please read the article and the other links posted in this thread. You'll see that the woman in the picture did in fact know that the picture was being taken, and in fact directed the picture to be taken. Her purpose for not only that picture but a whole series of pictures about menstruation was to reveal the hypocrisy of people being outraged and disgusted by menstrual blood while at the same time NOT being outraged and disgusted by pictures of naked or scantily-clad women that were overly sexualized and objectified.

Why would someone post that anyways?

Read the link I posted above - it gives the picture more context. It was part of a larger project she was doing for her university studies.

Its bodily waste, since when did that turn into a political statement?
she "demystified" the female period. Come on dude. That is something we will never have to wonder about again...:bouncingsmileys: i am sure you are just like me in being kept up at night wondering about this sort of thing...
what a period can mean to a guy:

1."oh good, maybe they aren't pregnant then."
2."crap, they asked me to stop and pick up tampons"
3."i wonder if this is why she is so b*tchy today"
4."i won't get laid for a week. This sucks"
5."she isn't swimming, must have something to do with that period thing"
6."better her than me"
7."okay, is her attitude legit or is she using this all as a excuse?"
8."More stained underwear? She must buy a lot of underwear."
yep, total mystery.

Nothing I haven't seen before (and/or experienced but never felt inclined to take pictures); if anything it seems documentary in nature. I don't get what it's violating but then I don't use Instagram (read their Terms once and that was the end of it for me).

Seems like the reaction helped confirm her point in doing what she did for her class project.

Last edited:
For confirm her point she get a grade or some thing like that for her class project. Than walk away and on to some other class project. Not so fast lady. By posting that picture or pictures you have become part of the battle for woman's rights and dignities. Walk away and who now showing hypocrisy.

For confirm her point she get a grade or some thing like that for her class project. Than walk away and on to some other class project. Not so fast lady. By posting that picture or pictures you have become part of the battle for woman's rights and dignities. Walk away and who now showing hypocrisy.

Who's walking away? She fought to get the picture put back up. She intentionally joined the battle. Who said anything about walking away?

Good, I found out the true about what was the reason for the picture. "I disagree in what you said, but I will defend your right to said it" Voltaire

Most reactions

Back