Instructing in Photoshop

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I teach a basic photography class through our local arts center. During our last course, we had a big demand in learning some photoshop techniques. We had access to a large computer lab where everyone had access to Photoshop CS2, and so I agreed. The first session was a real eye opener to me. I tried to teach the very basics of photohop-opening files-which I had put on each computer in advance, a look at differences between jpg, tiff,eps, etc, we also touched on using the selection tools, turning a photo bw, and the bare basics of curves and other lighting/color editing options. As I was walking around the class, I had a sea of blank looks. Some of these students were novices in anything computer. They almost needed a basic computer class before the Photoshop class.

My question is, what and how do I teach the very basics of editing a photo in programs such as photoshop?

That can a tough task. Photoshop is a professional tool, it's meant for advanced and professional users and has favored functionality over user friendliness.

You may be better off with a more basic program. Photoshop Elements comes to mind, but there are many many simple image programs for editing digital photos. I find most of them to be woefully inadequate and so 'user friendly' that I want to puke...and that's why I love Photoshop.

If you are dealing with people who don't even know how to open a program in windows...well then, you are on your own :roll: Those type of people would be perfectly happy using the very limited controls on a photo kiosk at Wal-mart (once someone shows them how to use it) :lol:

I know the look all too well - I'm in education. Try to relate something, like ask if some of the people have a flikr, or some sort of photo account, or how many people shoot digi pics and wonder how to lighten, etc. Use something they can relate to, and show the before and after first, then show them how to do it, and then tell them what you told them. Intro, body, summary - basic lesson format. Also find out how many of them have used traditional film and a darkroom - explain the photoshop tools that came right from the darkroom.
A great resource is a podcast - FREE - called PhotoshopTV. You could use one episode for several hours of instruction. I show an episode to my students weekly, then we apply the techniques to our own images.

The Intro to Photoshop class I took required students to have a basic understanding of computers and the OS of their choice. It doesn't matter whether Mac or Windows, the student ought to know how to locate a file folder, and select an image. How to save, how to rename, how to move, etc. How to find and application and launch it. These are basics that should not be the teacher's responsibility.

That photoshop tv link is great. I guess the idea is to ask for certain knowledge levels before entering this part of the class. I like the idea of showing them the basics of some of the online photo places where the editing is alot more basic. I tried getting them to post on my blog site, and again - blank stares! UGH!

Maybe an idea is to offer a class that runs for 4-6 weeks solely on photoshop techiniques. With the intent that only people with moderate computer skills attend????

That photoshop tv link is great.
Maybe an idea is to offer a class that runs for 4-6 weeks solely on photoshop techiniques. With the intent that only people with moderate computer skills attend????

Thanks. I love those guys.

I have been with many a diverse crowd of students. I first started teaching adults, most were from some sort of printing background, some were the (un)lucky s-o-b who was "creative" enough to be promoted to PR dept., soley.

Most of them had very basic navigational skills, and about a thimble-full of basic design and layout skills. I'd use certain specific terms, and get several blank looks as if I was speaking swahili. :scratch:

My impression was Photoshop was for the more advanced user. I've designed websites, built my own computers and learned many different varieties of software, yet I found Photoshop daunting. Perhaps starting them out on a much simpler program like Picassa, then working your way up would work? At the moment, it appears you have a class that you have to work with at this time. Picassa can be learned in about 20 minutes and would give them some insight into how photo editing works. Just my penny's worth.

Most reactions

Back