Insurance and Legal Issues

Stephi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone as I move forward to looking at creating a home based photography business i obviously am now looking at the legal side of things. I was just wondering if people could help me figure out what I need.

I am basing my 'office' space at home - so doing the books, editing photos etc.

I am the only employee and am the owner.

I have a studio that i use but it is owned by someone else, and is not part of my property. I am looking at buying some lighting equipment to be able to take portraits at people's homes.

I obviously need equipment insurance, but I have most of this covered it will just be for new equipment I buy such as the lighting equipment I am looking to get.

I hope this is enough info for people to be able to advise me further on the type of insurance that I will need, and also any legal issue people can see cropping up from this that i may need to know about. Thank you everyone :)

p.s I live in the UK

Last edited:
Do you have some sort of professional photographer's association over there? I know that both in Canada and the US, there are national associations that you can join...and one of the biggest benefits is the group rate on insurance that is tailored for photographers.
Besides insurance for your gear, you will probably want liability insurance, in case someone sues you for dropping a your camera on their cat etc.

Do you have some sort of professional photographer's association over there? I know that both in Canada and the US, there are national associations that you can join...and one of the biggest benefits is the group rate on insurance that is tailored for photographers.
Besides insurance for your gear, you will probably want liability insurance, in case someone sues you for dropping a your camera on their cat etc.

Which association would you recommend in Canada that offers these benefits?

Check into the tax situation. If 10% of your home is used as your office you may be able to declare 10% of your house expenses: electricity, water, heating, etc. off your photographic income.

You may want to make minor improvements to your house to improve security against break-in as in metal-clad doors, locks on both sides, securing some windows etc.

You will also need contracts on hand to deal with customers and the variety of situations that might arise. Samples are available on the web or in larger libraries.

skieur

professional indemnity & public liability insurance, you can join an organization if you like, SWPP is the usual for anyone who fancies handing over money for 0, there's also the BIPP & the MPA for pro's, these two will assess your work and grade you, but to join you must earn your living from the game.

You'll also have many invitations from all kinds of other business orgs, these will just cost you cash, join if you like but there's few if any benefits, everyone just wants a cut of your cash over here H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back