insurance

spiffybeth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking to get my camera(s) insured, but i have no idea who does this kind of stuff.

feel free to suggest company names.

thanks!

would any insurance agency do this?

It seems that a lot of people get their gear insured under their home owners or renters insurance, I'm not sure how it works exactly through some kind of rider that covers stuff outside the home, but just call up your agent/company and ask.

so then lets say, for argument's sake, that i have neither homeowners/renters nor car insurance and i wanted to get it insured... it would work the same way and id just have to call up a company?

so then lets say, for argument's sake, that i have neither homeowners/renters nor car insurance and i wanted to get it insured... it would work the same way and id just have to call up a company?
My guess is that it would be quite expensive for you. It's inexpensive IF it's added as a rider to a home/renter policy. Do you live with your folks and, if so, do they have insurance?

Just call and ask. Do you use your gear professionally? There may be a difference if you do, probably more expensive.
Call and get a quote, hell Gene Simmons insured his tongue!

My guess is that it would be quite expensive for you. It's inexpensive IF it's added as a rider to a home/renter policy. Do you live with your folks and, if so, do they have insurance?

Good call on that, adding something to an existing policy is almost always cheaper than buying a whole new one.

nope, i live on my own but i dont have renter's insurance and my car is insured in my dad's name (i think) but if it isnt, then ill see if i can't tack it on.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

Just call and ask. Do you use your gear professionally? There may be a difference if you do, probably more expensive.
Call and get a quote, hell Gene Simmons insured his tongue!
lol, no, not professional, but id feel better if it was insured.

lol, no, not professional, but id feel better if it was insured.

Probably be a lot cheaper since you not a pro. Using your gear for work brings many more inherent risks, at least in the eyes of the insurance company. Try telling your car insurance company that you deliver pizza and see what happens to your rates, that is, if they don't drop you on the spot!

Really renters insurance is pretty cheap especially if you don't have many nice things. Find out what a policy costs and ask if your stuff can be covered outside of the home. Might be the cheapest way.

Actually it is quite inexpensive to have a separate policy. With it being part of you homeowners insurance it can get quite expensive depending on circumstances.

I have what is called a Separate Articles Policy from State Farm. It costs me $11.25 per $1,000.00 of equipment per year. No deductible, full coverage for theft, loss, or damage, including just plain being clumsy and dropping it or being forgetful and walking away from it. It is the same kind of policy one would buy for a very expensive painting, jewelery etc.

If it is insured under your homeowners policy, first you have a deductible you must pay. Homeowners does not always cover all forms of, for a lack of a better word, stupidity. To many claims in too short of a time frame on a homeowners policy can cause an increase in you deductible. Any and all claims, no matter if they are weather related to the home, theft, fire, or loss are considered claims. There is no separation by type or reason.

Where insurance goes up in relationship to photography is when your equipment is covered for professional use. Then the rates are higher, as the insurance will also cover other aspects of the business. Liability etc. Plus professional use can not be covered under a homeowners policy. There are separate business policies however.

nope, i live on my own but i dont have renter's insurance and my car is insured in my dad's name (i think) but if it isnt, then ill see if i can't tack it on.

thanks for the feedback everyone!

You don't even know how your car is insured? Wow. Doesn't really matter, though. You can't tack camera gear insurance onto an automobile policy unless the camera is bolted to the car.

Get renter's insurance. Even without a photography scheduled coverage rider, you'll have some protection. The rider provides "all risk" coverage, eliminates the deductible and the coverage is usually for replacement cost, rather than depreciated value. Renter's insurance does provide you with other benefits, including your liability if someone falls and gets hurt.

If it is insured under your homeowners policy, first you have a deductible you must pay. Homeowners does not always cover all forms of, for a lack of a better word, stupidity.

That's incorrect. I have a zero deductible and "all risk" coverage, which covers not only dropping a camera or lens but also "mysterious disappearance." (Damned if I know what happened. I have no clue where it is.) In the event of a loss, I collect replacement cost rather than depreciated value. This is called a "scheduled coverage" rider on my home-owner's policy. I have to identify each and every item that's covered. I pay an extra charge for this rider - $35/year for $2500 of gear.

Most reactions

Back