insurance

A rider on a homeowner's policy is a fairly cheap way to go. If you have your car insured in your dad's name, why don't you ask him if he can get a rider on his home policy for your camera gear, and you will pay for the additional cost. It will be cheaper than going out and trying to find someone just to insure you gear seperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
If it is insured under your homeowners policy, first you have a deductible you must pay. Homeowners does not always cover all forms of, for a lack of a better word, stupidity.

That's incorrect. I have a zero deductible and "all risk" coverage, which covers not only dropping a camera or lens but also "mysterious disappearance." (Damned if I know what happened. I have no clue where it is.) In the event of a loss, I collect replacement cost rather than depreciated value. This is called a "scheduled coverage" rider on my home-owner's policy. I have to identify each and every item that's covered. I pay an extra charge for this rider - $35/year for $2500 of gear.

Socrates is correct. A rider is a seperate policy with a different deductible, if you so choose to have one at all. I pay $52 a year for $8000 coverage, no deductible, full initial replacement cost.

EDIT - Sorry, it's $62 a year, went and looked.

Socrates is correct. A rider is a seperate policy with a different deductible, if you so choose to have one at all. I pay $52 a year for $8000 coverage, no deductible, full initial replacement cost.

EDIT - Sorry, it's $62 a year, went and looked.

You're still a bit better off than I am. I suspect that location makes the difference. I'm in New Jersey. In any event, it's still a good deal.

A rider on a homeowner's policy is a fairly cheap way to go. If you have your car insured in your dad's name, why don't you ask him if he can get a rider on his home policy for your camera gear, and you will pay for the additional cost. It will be cheaper than going out and trying to find someone just to insure you gear seperately.
is that cheating if i put this in my dad's name?

If it is insured under your homeowners policy, first you have a deductible you must pay.
Dang, so do you suggest then with my $500 deductible I cancel the insurance on my $200 camera? :mrgreen:

Dang, so do you suggest then with my $500 deductible I cancel the insurance on my $200 camera? :mrgreen:

Well lets do the math, Camera needs replacing under insurance. You go buy the camera, pay the camera off, the insurance company counts it as a claim and gives you exactly $0.00 for your time, loss and effort. Yep That's what I would do. :lol: At least your premiums would go down a nickel or maybe even a dime a month. :lmao:

That's incorrect. I have a zero deductible and "all risk" coverage, which covers not only dropping a camera or lens but also "mysterious disappearance." (Damned if I know what happened. I have no clue where it is.) In the event of a loss, I collect replacement cost rather than depreciated value. This is called a "scheduled coverage" rider on my home-owner's policy. I have to identify each and every item that's covered. I pay an extra charge for this rider - $35/year for $2500 of gear.

You might want to check what your coverage is under your homeowners insurance. Most standard homeowners policies only cover for named perils. They do not cover any and all perils. Not with out paying extra for them. Sometimes big money extra.

With my seperate articles policy I have zero deductable, replacement value coverage that is truly all risk coverage. All peril coverage. Not just theft, fire, hail, tornado, accidental damage, mysterious disappearance, coverage but also from all acts of God/times of war etc. Gets washed away in a flood, covered. I don't live in a flood area and have no flood insurance on my homeowners. If a flood ever reaches my area, then Noah will have made a second coming.

We are paying about the same amount for insurance. I pay $11.25 per $1000 dollar of equipment. Every piece that is covered has to be listed with serial numbers if available, and the purchase of new equipment must be listed within 90 days of purchase. It's covered for the first 90 days listed or not. A small hassle to know that all my gear is fully covered against anything and knowing that no matter what happens, it does not effect any other insurance that I have, the rates, deductables etc. With over $8,000 in gear I don't want to get caught thinking I have coverage, I want to know right up front.

You might want to check what your coverage is under your homeowners insurance. Most standard homeowners policies only cover for named perils. They do not cover any and all perils. Not with out paying extra for them. Sometimes big money extra.

With my seperate articles policy I have zero deductable, replacement value coverage that is truly all risk coverage. All peril coverage. Not just theft, accidental damage, mysterious disappearance, coverage but also from acts of God. Gets washed away in a flood, covered, (I don't live in a flood area and have no flood insurance on my homeowners) Tornado take the house, car etc. away, covered.

We are paying about the same amount for insurance. I pay $11.25 per $1000 dollar of equipment. Every piece has to be listed with serial numbers if available, and the purchase of new equipment must be listed within 90 days of purchase. It's covered for the first 90 days listed or not. A small hassle to know that all my gear is fully covered against anything and knowing that no matter what happens, it does not effect any other insurance that I have, the rates, deductables etc. With over $8,000 in gear I don't want to get caught thinking I have coverage, I want to know right up front.
My coverage is "ALL RISK." What word didn't you understand?

My coverage is "ALL RISK." What word didn't you understand?

Oh I understand the words. I also understand that earthquakes are not covered under a typical homeowners insurance policy. They are separate riders at an additional price. I also understand that Flood insurance can only be provided by the National Flood Insurance Program, and it can be bought through local insurance agents. It is not part of a homeowners policy

I would be greatly interested what company you have your insurance policy through. I would love to check them out, because most home owners policies do not cover things like termites, mold damage, earthquakes, nor do they cover damage caused from water line or sewer line breaks, or sewer backups. Those are all separate add ons to a homeowners policy.

So tell me what company you have and exactly what policy. I would love to know because in the world of insurance "All Risk" has several meanings.

Oh I understand the words. I also understand that earthquakes are not covered under a typical homeowners insurance policy. They are separate riders at an additional price. I also understand that Flood insurance can only be provided by the National Flood Insurance Program, and it can be bought through local insurance agents. It is not part of a homeowners policy

I would be greatly interested what company you have your insurance policy through. I would love to check them out, because most home owners policies do not cover things like termites, mold damage, earthquakes, nor do they cover damage caused from water line or sewer line breaks, or sewer backups. Those are all separate add ons to a homeowners policy.

So tell me what company you have and exactly what policy. I would love to know because in the world of insurance "All Risk" has several meanings.

Please read my previous explanation. I stated that it's a RIDER on my homeowner's insurance policy. I further explained that this specific rider is identified as "Scheduled Coverage." By the way, ALL RISK means ALL RISK. I'm covered if termites eat my D80. I'm covered if a broken sewer pipe spews sewage all over it. I'm covered if an earthquake knocks it off the mantle.

Please don't ask me to explain again. Talk to your insurance agent.

It's not cheating. It's fraud.

In what country? Here in Australia it is normal practice to have the entire house hold covered under the same insurance company under the same name. My camera my bicycle etc are listed on dad's home owner insurance. And to improve my insurance rating I have been listed as the primary driver on my mothers car.

It's only fraud if the insurance company expressly prohibits it, AND you intentionally lie about who was using the equipment at the time of the incident.

I have the feeling that this would vary on a policy / policy basis.

In what country? Here in Australia it is normal practice to have the entire house hold covered under the same insurance company under the same name. My camera my bicycle etc are listed on dad's home owner insurance. And to improve my insurance rating I have been listed as the primary driver on my mothers car.

It's only fraud if the insurance company expressly prohibits it, AND you intentionally lie about who was using the equipment at the time of the incident.

I have the feeling that this would vary on a policy / policy basis.

It's also fraud if you intentionally lie about where you live or if you lie about who owns the camera equipment. In the States, home-owner's insurance policies will cover personal property owned by those individuals that live in the home. There is one residency exception. If a "child" (sorry about the semantics) is attending college away from home and living at school, his/her legal residence remains the home for this and other purposes, such as driver's license, voting, jury duty, etc. In fact, if I really do own the equipment, it doesn't matter who was using it at the time of the incident so there is no incentive to lie about that aspect.

There is different reasoning with car insurance. Here in the States, anyone (with a license) can drive my car and will be covered by my insurance policy. There is no residency requirement. Apparently, it's the same in Australia. You do not own a car but you are driving a car that your mother owns.

Most reactions

Back