insurance?

jeljohns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had no idea where to post this since it's an odd question. Is there any kind of insurance out there that protects you from theft? I've never had a nice camera before and now that I have one I am too afraid to take it anywhere! Most of the places I want to go to get great shots are in areas where I wouldn't want to bust out a nice camera. I keep thinking if I get robbed a lot of money would just go down the drain. What do you do to stay safe, but still be bold about taking pictures? Do you have insurance against theft or accident?

Thanks!

Do you have home owner's or renter's insurance? If so, your camera may be covered, even when you aren't in the home. You can also add a rider to your home policy, specifically for your gear. Even if you don't have a policy, you could just call up a couple insurance companies and ask them to quote you a price for the type of insurance that you are looking for.

What gear do you have I have mine insured through the Nikonians website. I also have it as an add on to my car insurance since I dont have homeowners.

I did call my insurance company and it is covered under them. Good to know! But I am curious how others approach not so great areas, taking equipment out at night, ect.

I grew up in Detroit it is all not so great. Especially at night. Just dont look like an easy target.

homeowners only covers you so much, mainly just if in the home. you need to check with your insurance company. i have homeowners and then business insurance both through state farm. it's nice because they cover my gear in and out of the home with biz insurance, as well as include liability...this is nice since some reception halls i have been to liked that i have it. also, check with them with the biz insurance, since they may have regulations, may put a cap on the limit, and may require a list of items you normally carry with you out of the home.

Yeah, you can get insurance that will cover any destructive event you could think of. I have a friend who has worked for H&R block for years, so she knows insurance. She's got herself completely insured even if she accidentally drops a lens down a cliffside.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought homeowner's or renter's insurance only covered your gear if it was in your home when it was stolen or destroyed. If you're out in an alleyway and you get mugged, I don't think this insurance will cover that, will it?

hey guys sorry to bring back a dead thread, but is there any other insurance companies (maybe online?) that offer camera insuance other than your homeowners?

I don't think so. OTOH, you could just electrify your camera...

I mean like a specific camera insurance
Company. Not like home owners or renters.

Does any body happen to hVe new jersey manufacterers for an insurance
Company? That is who I have and they are saying there is no way for them
To cover it outside the house.

strap on a 9....remember when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Most reactions

Back