Insurance?

Hill and Usher. Hill & Usher. Insurance. Bonds. Benefits.

and Providence Mutual. Providence Mutual

Do you belong to any professional photographers assocciations like PPA, WPPI, or ASMP. Most can get you group rates and some include indemnity insurance with a membership.

What's up with your current provider?

Last edited:
I don't have a current provider. I've been making my living this way for about a month and I'm just now realizing how stupid it is that I don't have insurance. Now you've got me wondering which photographer's associations I should join.

I need to fire my business manager, which is me.

I've heard over and again that the savings on insurance that you get with a "professional photogaphers assocciations like PPA, WPPI, or ASMP" will more than pay for the annual dues.
Not to mention the numerous other benefits that you get with membership.

I was wondering I am not planing on having a photography business but just for the average joe like me that has some expensive at leat expensive to me photography equipment... camera body and lenses and such is there a cheap way for that stuff to be covered. I wouldn't even know were to begin to look for companies that insure photography equipment and would love to have some help pointing me in the right direction.

these things will increase your expenses for sure.

I was wondering I am not planing on having a photography business but just for the average joe like me that has some expensive at leat expensive to me photography equipment... camera body and lenses and such is there a cheap way for that stuff to be covered. I wouldn't even know were to begin to look for companies that insure photography equipment and would love to have some help pointing me in the right direction.
You can get a rider for your homeowners or renters insurance.

If you don't have either of those you can still walk into just about any insurance agents place of business and purchase insurance for your camera gear.

If you don't have either of those you can still walk into just about any insurance agents place of business and purchase insurance for your camera gear.

If a person has $10,000 worth of equipment, would you have an approximate idea of what the insurance may be?

I am new to this so please do not blast me, but what would be the reasoning for getting insurance?

I am new to this so please do not blast me, but what would be the reasoning for getting insurance?
In case your camera were to be stolen, or was to become defective in a way that isn't covered by the warranty.

If your new to dSLR photography you might consider that there are several levels and some people have a sizeable investment in camera gear.

In case your camera were to be stolen, or was to become defective in a way that isn't covered by the warranty.
Yeah, pretty much the same reasons you get insurance on your car or house.

If a person has $10,000 worth of equipment, would you have an approximate idea of what the insurance may be?
If it's being added to an existing homeowners or renters policy as a rider it will cost less than if it's purchased by itself.

As part of a business insurance policy it would have yet another rate.

Membership in a professional association could qualify you for a group rate.

A quick look online http://www.bing.com/search?q=photography+equipment+insurance&form=MS8TDF&pc=MS8TDF&src=IE-SearchBox yields $1.35 to $1.75 per $100, so $135 to $175 a year as a rider.

http://photo.net/learn/insurance

Last edited:
Make sure to get a business policy as I heard of companies not covering if they get a hint that you have or may make money from photography.
Business rates are somewhat higher, and usually entails a deductable, compared to hobbyists rates and terms.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back