Insurance

8m32s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I've just moved to Colorado from the U.K. and as such need to replace my equipment insurance. I'm looking for coverage that will include theft from a vehicle and accidental damage (old for new). My gear is worth roughly $10,000. I would be happy to pay a higher premium for a company that is proven to "play ball". I accumulated three years no-claims in the U.K. but had been told by the community that they were honourable in paying-out if required.

If anyone can recommend a company, I would be greatful.

Happy shooting, Scott ;).

Hi Keith, thank you for your reply. I don't mean to offend, but is this a push towards a sponsor or is it a recommendation? A quick look at their drop-down selection for camera equipment, and their max value is $3000.

Scott ;).

I'm going to say Geico, as that's who my auto and home insurance is with.

I don't know if they do Cameras though, but I've had no issues with them paying out the second after your deductable (premium, for the Brit) is met.

Hi BrightByNature, thanks for the reply. I'll check them out, see if they can offer camera only. Being without equipment is clearly not good so a quick payout would be essential for sure.

I'm trying to adopt as much American terminology as possible (strength comes from adaptability), and my mistake for the initial wording, but with regard to premium, I meant the total cost of the policy.

Scott ;)

NP - I've made the move to the US also and had to figure everything out from legal papers for immigration to buying a home and my first ever tax statement - all without an accountant or a lawyer, and everything turned out fine :)

Yes, the deductible (us term) will be your premium.

The total cost of the policy will be surprisingly cheap compared to the UK I am guessing! :)
Good luck!

Thank you. Man, that sounds like my kind of nightmare! I'm off to NM for a five day wander tomorrow but haven't any insurance sorted yet-I'll just take even more care than per usual, and hope things turn out ok.

Good to hear about the prices-I was paying about $200 in the UK.

Scott. ;)

Yes, the deductible (us term) will be your premium.
"Premium", in the US, will be what you pay every month for the policy. The deductible is what you have to pay when you make a claim.

Saying that the premium (UK term) = the deductible (US term) may very well be true, but it sounds confusing as hell to me, lol!

If that is the case, what is the premium (US term) called in the UK?

Hill and Usher. They specialize in insurance for photographers. You can get liability and equipment insurance.

Hi all, the UK uses "premium" in the same context and our version of "deductible" is "excess".

Christina, thanks for the recommendation. I'll not need liability as I'm a landscaper, but I would prefer going with a company specializing for photographers.

Scott ;)

Speaking as an insurance professional here in a Texas, let me offer some advice. Deal with a company who has a specialized products specifically for photographers. Don't make the mistake many people I meet who simply add their gear to their homeowners insurance and call it a day. Geico and Progressive have no business insuring a pro or semi-pro's equipment, and they are incapable of offering General Liability or many other coverages you probably want.

I've had Hill & Usher previously, which was good, and one of the companies I represent, Hiscox, has a very good policy providing GL and gear coverage, as well as E&O options, should you need one.

For what it's worth I have a homeland marine insurance out for my equipment. The agent told me it covers me in the us and in other countries. (I travel to Aruba for vacation and will be studying abroad in Australia.) So it covers me if I drop it, it's stolen, or any other various mistakes.

It's nice and easy. I had to provide proof of the receipt and take a picture of the receipt with my item.

Most reactions

Back