Insuring a Camera

mcoppadge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this thread but here we go anyway. I'm taking a trip to Mexico come October and, God willing, will have purchased my D80 by then. I would love to take my camera with me but due to the nature of my trip I'm really worried about something happening to it. I'll be spending three months sea kayaking and sailing around the coast of Baja California, so there's a lot of opportunity for it to get wet (or even to get completely lost in the sea, should something happen to our boat). And obviously, there's the possibility of it getting smashed or dropped.

How should I go about insuring a camera? Can I insure it for just the three months I'll be there? Can or will insurance cover any possible damages/demises, including having it drop into the ocean or get smashed on a rock? And if any of you have your cameras insured, in your estimate about how much might it cost me?

I realize it probably sounds like I plan on beating the crap out of my camera and being careless with it but there really will be a lot of opportunity for it to get damaged and/or destroyed and I want to make sure I have all the bases covered. I appreciate any input.

All my camera gear is covered by my home-owner's insurance policy. That included when I'm on vacation etc. The problem with that is the deductible...it's $500 or $1000. The solution was to get a rider on the policy for my camera gear. I gave them a list of my gear and for a few dollars a month, my gear has a $25 deductible.

If you don't have an existing home policy, just call up your (or any) insurance company and ask for a quote.

Do they make an "underwater cover" for your camera? Some camera manufacturers make water tight transparent cases for cameras, so you can shoot without fear of them getting wet. Not sure if Nikon makes any, though.

Thanks for the info, BigMike. I will call my insurance company and see if I can figure something out.

Do they make an "underwater cover" for your camera? Some camera manufacturers make water tight transparent cases for cameras, so you can shoot without fear of them getting wet. Not sure if Nikon makes any, though.

I doubt they do. And it's more than just getting it wet...like completely dropping it in the water and having it sink. My guess is that I will realize that it's more trouble than it's worth to take a camera like that on my trip and I'll just take a smaller, cheaper point-and-shoot.

My guess is that I will realize that it's more trouble than it's worth to take a camera like that on my trip and I'll just take a smaller, cheaper point-and-shoot.
I have usually taken $20 waterproof disposable cameras with me on any type of 'water excursion'. I now have one of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Sure-Water-Resistant-Camera/dp/B00004SC3N"]these[/ame].

I doubt they do. And it's more than just getting it wet...like completely dropping it in the water and having it sink. My guess is that I will realize that it's more trouble than it's worth to take a camera like that on my trip and I'll just take a smaller, cheaper point-and-shoot.

Olympus doesn't make any for me so I can't get one.

I'd assume a camera enclosed in one would float if dropped in water. I mean the plastic is suppose to waterproof the camera, and camera bodies and lenses do have considerable amounts of air in them. So I think it'd float. Unless you put on that 1600mm zoom, then it'd sink. :mrgreen:

I do think these enclosures cost $600-1200 though, so it could almost cost as much as your body. For a single trip, may not be worth it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back