Interested in a Nikon D80 as my first DSLR (Opinoins Needed!)

jas00n_86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so I have experience with mt gf's Olympus e-500, what kind of comparison is that to a D80? Where is a good site to order from? Also I do a bit of everything when it comes to taking photos (wildlife, portraits, landscapes). So what is a nice affordable all around lens? I hear Sigmas are nice. I don't know much about the equipment so I hope someone will guide me. Thanks for your time.

I shoot Nikon but not the D80. I don't recall anyone hating it and a number who loved it.

As to lenses (affordable ones anyway) Try the 18-70mm AFS. This is a really nice lens even though it was called a "kit"lens. It covers landscape through most portraits. As to the wildlife, I wouldn't consider anything under 300mm. You can pick up an older 70-210mm Nikon for little or nothing and they are perfectly serviceable or go the f/2.8 rout (better idea if you can swing it!) for the not so wild wildlife. I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the 70-300mm VR from Nikon but have no experience with the Tamron varients on that length (I think that Sabboth has/had one so you might ask him).

good luck

Okay so I have experience with mt gf's Olympus e-500, what kind of comparison is that to a D80? Where is a good site to order from?
The D80 is definitely better. The Olympus's sensor is much smaller and will result in more noise sooner than that of the D80's.

Also I do a bit of everything when it comes to taking photos (wildlife, portraits, landscapes). So what is a nice affordable all around lens?
I don't know how you define "affordable", so...

Nice: Nikon 18-200mm, $700
Absurd: Tamron 18-270mm, $600
Affordable: 18-135mm, $300

I don't have experience with either of these, but I've heard a lot of good about the Nikon 18-200mm. I think the Tamron probably suffers from some significant distortion and vignetting at certain focal lengths. The 18-135mm is said to pretty good and can be had as a kit lens with the D80, which means you'll save some money by buying it as a package.

For around $400 or less, you can have an 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR and have the same focal range as the $700 18-200mm, only you'll have to change lenses more often.

I hear Sigmas are nice. I don't know much about the equipment so I hope someone will guide me. Thanks for your time.
I hear they're OK. From what I've read, if you want good stuff, just buy Nikon brand and you won't be sorry.

First I'd sugget you take a close look at a gently used d200 instead of a d80.... the upside of the d200 (besides being faster and more rugged), is that it can meter with older non-cpu lenses.

As for a an inexpensive but good "all around lens," there's no such thing. Such a lens will either be very expensive or very poor quality.

The only "everything" lens I recommend is the nikon 18-200 DX VR, but even a used one will cost you nearly $500.

A more affordable option would be to buy a quality mid-range zoom, with the knowledge that you are going to buy a long zoom and a wide later.

My D80 came with the 18-55mm kit lens and I think the newer ones are coming with the 18-135mm lens. Although a bit slow and not really suited for low light situations, either will give you a sharp image (but not particularly at the extremes) if plenty of light is available. You might want to consider one of them while developing your style and needs of shooting before dropping some serious cash on "good" lenses. When I say "good", I mean that the lenses will most likely cost more than the body.

You'll want several accessories in the beginning like an extra battery, a few memory cards, bag, tripod, remote shutter release, CP filter and the list goes on.........

Just my 2¢. Have fun with it.

My D80 came with the 18-55mm kit lens and I think the newer ones are coming with the 18-135mm lens. Although a bit slow and not really suited for low light situations, either will give you a sharp image (but not particularly at the extremes) if plenty of light is available. You might want to consider one of them while developing your style and needs of shooting before dropping some serious cash on "good" lenses. When I say "good", I mean that the lenses will most likely cost more than the body.

You'll want several accessories in the beginning like an extra battery, a few memory cards, bag, tripod, remote shutter release, CP filter and the list goes on.........

Just my 2¢. Have fun with it.

Good points; I would add that if you are going to buy a cheaper lens that you will undoubtedly replace in the future... BUY USED! No reason to drop any more cash then necessary.

One great mid range lens for little $$ is the sigma 24-60mm f2.8; it can be found new for $220, and it's high enough quality that you'll never have a need to replace it.

Ugh. Keep in mind the all encompassing 18-200 will not be as sharp as say a 70-200 because the lenses with the larger range of focal lengths tend to have more glass and are not as "optically superior" as certain other lenses.

A collection of primes might even be a better option with a decent zoom lens. Does Nikon manufacture all of these? 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 200mm f/2.0?

^^ Yes.

But the 200mm f/2 is $4000. :biggrin:

I have collection of 4 primes and really like them. They are small, light weight, fast and sharp. Well, the 300mm f/4 is sharp. :lol:

Most reactions

Back