interested in purchasing a first camera

i dont think i would ever drop 500 on a P&S even an advanced one...
like others have said..500 can get you a decent dslr

I disagree with you on this-some P&S's, like my Canon, take pictures that rival my dSLR, and it's much easier to carry around for "everyday" shots. At 7.1 MP, it takes great pictures.. It also does movies with sound, which no dSLR in its price range does.. The good thing about the P&S "bridge" cameras is that it has all the functionality of a dSLR, minus the ability to change lenses, so a novice can practice with settings and shooting in Manual or Aperture Priority, etc., and take great pictures while doing it... Then when/if he decides to get a dSLR, he will have an awesome camera for just walking the streets and taking pictures without the bulk and worry of the dSLR.. Fits in your pocket and takes great pictures... In fact, I just bought a new P&S for even more compact portability because my Canon is on the bulky side due to taking 4 AA's.. It's good to always have a camera with you, and with small P&Ss reaching over 10 MP, they take great pictures.. Can't keep a dSLR in your glove box for capturing that thing you just stumble upon...

I didn't get out of the OP that he wanted to become a photographer, proper, but that he wanted to capture things he sees while out and about... If you're not going to make a hobby out of it and buy lenses and speed lights, then a dSLR is a waste of money.

I say go with the G10-it will take great pictures and be everything you seem to want it to be.. It's actually a very nice camera.

Last edited:
i guess that does make sense sinner....you make valid points for sure...
i guess i was speaking purely on what I would do...so as someone who doesnt mind lugging my gear around anywhere i go, that's the route i would take.
and youre right about some point and shoots rivaling dlsrs...i know there are P&S cams that will make mince meat of my little 6.1mp D40...
i think for me personally what drove me to a dlsr, is the shutter lag time...i was so tired of missing shots with my bridge camera.
but im sure technology has come a long way, and maybe shutter lag has been greatly reduced. i also like the option of lens swaps.

you make a great argument for P&S cams.

i think for me personally what drove me to a dlsr, is the shutter lag time...

Biscuit makes a good point here. This was something that drove me to DSLR as well. With a DSLR you turn your camera on as you're bringing it up to your eye and by the time it's to your eye, you're shooting. You can even keep a camera like the XSi on full time when out, since it's auto-off after 20 seconds (adjustable time)... then just hit the "display button" when you pull it out, rather than flipping the "On" switch... just because the button may be easier to hit than the switch is to turn. This isn't so with many "Point and Shoot" cameras unfortunately - you end up waiting a few more seconds before you can actually take your picture.

Since your budget isn't an issue, your main issue is deciding how much of a camera you want to pack around. If you want something you can keep in your pocket, then DSLR isn't even an option. However, there are plenty of small satchel bags that you can store your DSLR in around your shoulder, as well as pack anything else with. This way you're not the dude that walks around town looking like a tourist every day :p

Here's the messenger bag I'm probably going to get (just not this ugly color):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIj-iPAuEd8"]YouTube - Tenba Messenger: Most likely the perfect camera bag[/ame]

That being said, my opinion is that if you don't mind going out equipped... I say get one of the DSLR's mentioned (even an older model Canon Rebel is < $500) and a nice messenger bag. You can get inserts for Timbuk2 bags as well from what I've read.

Last edited:
I was recently in the same boat as you. After talking to a friend of mine, I ended up buying a Canon G9 (refurb for $350). I sold it two months later at a loss and bought a Nikon D40. You can get the D40 new with an 18-55 for $400-$450 just about anywhere.

There seems to be a lot a dislike for the D40 around here, but I love mine and don't really understand the discontent (probably because I have never used a D300)!

Ken Rockwell (find him with google) speaks highly of the D40, but some of his advice seems a bit skewed.

Best "bang for the buck" out there right now is the Canon 40D IMHO. Both Nikon and Canon are great, but if I were on a budget, I would strongly look at a Pentax.

I was recently in the same boat as you. After talking to a friend of mine, I ended up buying a Canon G9 (refurb for $350). I sold it two months later at a loss and bought a Nikon D40. You can get the D40 new with an 18-55 for $400-$450 just about anywhere.

There seems to be a lot a dislike for the D40 around here, but I love mine and don't really understand the discontent (probably because I have never used a D300)!

Ken Rockwell (find him with google) speaks highly of the D40, but some of his advice seems a bit skewed.

im also a d40 user, and it serves me pefectly for the time being.

there is also a lot of dislike for ken rockwell around here too. :lol:

I just purchased my first. I went with the Canon Rebel XS with lens kit. It has treated me well so far. I purchased it brand new for $469 canadian dollars. The lens kit is decent but am currently looking for extra lens.

Good beginner camera IMO (from what i have reasearched and from the amount i have used it thus far).

Well I just read this...

Nikon P6000 and Canon G10 Comparison Review

and it really sold me on the G10. I think it looks like a camera I can carry around easily but at the same time, will allow me to take high quality pictures and learn how to operate a camera so I can smoothly upgrade to an slr later. Any additional perspectives before I drop five hundo?

And yeah, I am blues fan and the name just popped into my head as something nice and simple while registering.

Last edited:
Go for the G10.. You'll love it even if you decide to later purchase a dSLR.. I had my Canon PowerShot A620 first, then I bought my Nikon, and I would never give up my Canon.. It's so handy and takes gorgeous pictures..

Most reactions

Back