Interesting article on the end of Kodachrome

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by BasilFawlty, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Unlike most other color film of its era, Kodachrome had/has amazing DARK-storage resistance to fading. The other day I saw some 1950s color images made at Celilo Falls, on the Columbia River, and there was terrible all-over reddening,a terrible, frame-wide color cast. This great dark-storage fade resistance plays out in many instances, where people dig out old Kodachromes that have vibrant color after 40,50,60,70 years in dark storage.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    In 1990 -1993 we had an elderly neighbor who showed me some of the Kodachromes HE had shot in WW II in the Pacific theater of operations... he took them with an old 35mm he had, a decent enough camera, and as he said, "mailed each roll back to the Sates in a condom." His mother sent each roll in for developing, and after he got home, he had literally, hundreds of full-color shots of WW II in the islands at the military base(s).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now THATS a treasure!

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    they drank a lot of beer,and played a lot of poker, and made hurachi sandals...

5. BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh no!

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

After my grandfather died, I inherited his vast collection of black-and-white negatives, and later was given his slide collection from roughly 1953 to 1977. The majority of the slides were Kodachrome. A few years ago I was looking through one of the slide sets and found pictures of a little infant boy who happened to be me in 1964! I had never seen the photos before, and I had not seen many of his photos of my sisters and cousins in the 1950s and 1960s. The older of my two sisters,Susan,was born in 1950 and I happened to see some photos that he shot with his then fairly new Kodak Pony 135B, A camera which was introduced in 1953.I found a few exposures from Susan's fourth birthday party in 1954, and I was able to fairly successfully recover a severely under exposed shot of her opening her birthday presents To me it appears as if the flashbulb had failed to fire or that he forgot to change the flashbulb from the previous exposure