Interesting new speculation/rumor/stuff that may never happen anways

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Is Nikon About to Release a New Small Full-Frame Camera to Rival Sony?

So some people are speculating that Nikon may have a rival product against the Sony A7. A stripped down full frame camera, mirrorless or DSLR.

While it excites many people.... you know like those who's been b*tching about wanting a camera without video.... it kinda makes me a bit worried.
It led my mind to another unrelated place. Bicycles. I used to ride mt bikes which I love. I want the bells and whistles, like rear suspension(which I never got to have), hydraulic brakes and light-weight frames etc.
It kinda mirrors my desire for a DSLR body. A D700 with bigger and better sensor, more compact and light weight + video, but not compromising on features like multi-step bracketing and gadget like in-camera flash.

If Nikon does make a stripped down FF body, with all of my desired features not there, it will be like a single-speed bike for hipsters in NYC.
May be it's not that bad. May be it's a steel rigid frame mt bike with only 18 speeds and lousy brakes (rode one for one summer, great fun!)

And if I really want something pure, I still got my 35mm SLRs sitting in my dry cabinet.

Yeah, d710. Go d710 !!

I still have my full suspension, carbon fiber (upper body, Spinergy RevX carbonfiber wheels, XTR V, etc) 1996ish Trek Y bike. Hydraulics weren't around then if I recall. But it's still a light bike and rides great after all these years. I doubt my dSLR will be functioning after 17 years.

Well you can probably get a rear shock upgrade to newer hardware, something that won't eat as much of your energy when you pedal up the hill.

I think the best brake available at that time is V-brake. Disc brakes came later starting with mechanical ones, then hydraulic. You had carbon fiber wheels from 1996?????

Honestly since it isn't going to have the 51 pt AF according to the rumors I have lost interest. If anything I've returned to waiting for the V3. The V2 came really close to everything I want in my next camera feature wise, I even find the DR acceptable. The V3 should be even better so, that's what I'm waiting for now. If it's good enough I will jump on the V3.

The next camera I want to buy is a full-frame camera. I want it to have enough megapixels to have a good crop-sensor mode (at least 24 mp in crop mode). That would make the transition easier. Price would also be very important. I live in the future I suppose.

Well you can probably get a rear shock upgrade to newer hardware, something that won't eat as much of your energy when you pedal up the hill.

I think the best brake available at that time is V-brake. Disc brakes came later starting with mechanical ones, then hydraulic. You had carbon fiber wheels from 1996?????

OOPS . 2006 .... well, I'm a light rider. rear air shock, pump it up and it is FIXED until you hit the bumps. So it acts like a hard tail (for my weight (back then)) and only when you need it does it function. Also had an update to Eibach 3 staged spring suspension in the front shock. I was sponsored, and got the 1st shipment of XTR V brakes & equipment to the US for the bike, and other carbon & titanium bits, carbon fiber wheels where around in 2006 (not 1996 - though I do have some super rare carbon fiber spokes from a long time ago. When I was heavily sponsored in road racing in the early/mid 80s I got the lightest stuff including some of the first carbon fiber wheels for TT).

but sign me up for a d710

Yeah...the new Nikon is allegedly called the Df (capital D, small f), and is supposed to be announced November 6. It might well be announced through Nikon, Germany's web site, where Nikon has recently gone into full-on FX promotion mode within the past week. I'd look for details just before midnight USA EASTERN TIME on the 5th. So, just a couple more days, and the details ought to be all out in the open.

I'm interested to see what they've come up with. There is a lot of speculation, but the basics seem to be a 16 MP sensor (as used in the D4), F-mount, and the big thing is full metering and shooting compatibility with older, manual focusing lenses, using stopped down light metering (as was done in 35mm Nikons like the EL,FM,FE,F3,F4) with the AI-coupling tab flipped up. That feature means there are 75 million Nikkors that will click right onto this thing, from day 1. The reason for that might be the new Sony A7 and A7rs are launching with an unusually limited range of lenses, including two very expensive primes...and not much else. Full compatibility with modern AF-S, then older AF-D, then AF Nikkors, as well as the Ai-S, then Ai, and pre-AI Nikkors means lenses made as long ago as 1959 would work on this thing. Low-density, BIG-pixel wells for maximum light gathering per pixel, and high-per-pixel level image quality would mean that even a modest lens would look good! and a good lens would look even better, and the high-end glass would look just amazing. This is the old Chevy big-block type performance method, in cameras; moderate tech, but big-bore.

According to Thom Hogan's column today, last year, the two big dogs, Canon and Nikon claimed 84% of all USA interchangeable lens camera sales. The remaining 16% must have been split up between Sony, Olympus,Pentax,Panasonic, and I guess Fuji. So, five other players, with Pentax at like 0.6%, and Sony probably the top dog out of all the five little dogs in the litter. I see this new Nikon as part of an effort to thwart Sony's new A7 and A7r offerings. The D4's sensor is really great at the sky-high ISO settings, and produces much more color-rich JPEGs SOOC than the D3s did, so this camera might be seen as a low-light, SOOC JPEG shooter that has little competition. I also think Canon's low-cost 6D is part of an effort to keep market share from slipping to Sony.

Last edited:
I think this thing is going to fly off of the shelves. I am not interested in it much it got the old flipping mirror in it. But I have a feeling Nikon is going to show everyone how's it done, again. Kudos to them for raising the bar.

The camera Nikon releases to compete with the Sony A7(r) is the Nikon DF, which is simply a somewhat retrostyle Nikon F mount DSLR. We will find out the exact specs of it tomorrow, but its a wee bit more compact than other Nikon DSLRs.

Ok here's an idea for Nikon. FREE IDEA!

Stripped down DSLR with awesome core? Excellent, but don't limit its capabilities there! If Nikon really want to strip it down to total nakedness, TAKE AWAY THE LCD SCREEN!
Ok I sound crazy, may be I am, but no pure photographer needs a LCD screen. We didn't have one before, why now? Now this will make it compact and PURE!

BUT WAIT! This is not all of the story!

Give the camera unlimited potential with accessories! Attachable LCD screen... wait, better still, attachable interactive device.... wait, even better still, hook it to your smart phone or tablet for full interaction and control!
That way, you can instant review your long exposure night shots if you need to, and you won't be restricted to the tiny LCD screen! Nikon or third party can develop Apps to control the camera in ways the usual on-camera interface can't. Plus, this will be even better for video guys! Then when you are just out for some street shots, bring the camera with a 50mm and no LCD screen. Yeah that's a dream!

Most reactions

Back