Interesting subject needs artistic touch

iluvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw this bike in Montrea and I thought it was going to be a very interesting shot but I am not too crazy about it.. Maybe it's the composition.. Anyway, Could someone do something interesting with it??
2676713006_9c835a38af_b.jpg

I would say the composition isn't graphically simple enough.

Playing around i got this... a sort of tonemapped effect to bring out the textures a little more..

- Duplicate layer and desaturate
- Adjust levels to be slightly darker
- Set blend mode to lighter color and opacity to 50%
- Clone out the sign and motorcycle reflections in the window and the lamp on the wall
- Flatten layers
- Crop out the balconies on the left

Maybe not to everyones taste, but i like it...

2676713006_9c835a38af_bcopy.jpg

I agree with Sw1tchFX; the composition is just too busy, and your subject just isn't the centre of attention. The wide shot upwards just isn't doing the bike justice and takes away all interest and mood. I'd suggest trying to get closer to the bike, filling the frame a bit more, and telling the viewer where to look. Use the convergence of the pavement and building to throw some lines into the scene.

I feel B&W works here, too.

Here's a quick crop and B&W conversion (though I'm rubbish at that part. I need to invest a lot more time understanding how to make the best conversions)

bike.jpg

Of course, you're left with a tiny image now, which is why it's always best to get the crop right in-camera!

Thanks.. Both PP look really nice.. I knew there was something wrong with the composition, even when I was taking the shot but I couldn't come up with something better :-(
It had to be from the side so that you could see the bent wheels... But I guess I should have focused more on the bike than the surrounding.. Now it makes sense..

Here's a quick crop and B&W conversion (though I'm rubbish at that part. I need to invest a lot more time understanding how to make the best conversions)

I have the same problem. all my B&W conversions are so flat... It's better if you use Channel Mixer, and choose Gray scale and then play with the adjustments.. I have seen really nice outcomes using this technique but I can't get it to work for me...

I would like to see a shot from directly behind the bike, crouched really low. I think the bent wheels would almost blend with the street and look like a special effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back