interesting tree on charles river for C&C

theregoesjb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this picture this evening and have a couple questions, feel free to C&C.

this is shot with a canon t2i and canon 50mm f/1.8 lens

Aperture Priority with white balance and ISO on auto.
-f/8
-1/80s
ISO:100

-For a shot like this, where would you have focused on?
(I used the front face of the large stump.)
A part of me wishes the grass was sharper, but maybe this would have taken away from the tree.

-Do you mind the framing, with the tops of the limbs branches cut out of the shot? Do you think it takes away from the photo?

-Would you do any post processing sharpening, and if so where?
This is something i wonder about with most pictures i take, if i do any i usually just do the entire subject.

Thanks for any input, and of course add in any other comments

In answer to your questions:

- the focus seems to be okay, I might have tried to reduce the DOF so that the background is part of a fuzzy bokeh,

- personally, I would have liked to have seen the whole tree in the image. I also have an interest in weird looking trees an dtry to ge tthe whole tree into the image - maybe a wide angle lens might help. I am not sure that it takes away from the iamge by having the tops cut out, but I just prefer the whole tree, that's all.

- it is hard to tell if any additional PP would have helped, as it looks fairly sharp, but then you always have to deal with the affect on the image that "shrinking" it down to meet posting requirements has on it.

My main concern is the background with all the buildings that detract from the overall image. If you could find a way to make them part of a less intrusive background, then it would be a better image IMHO. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

My main concern is the background with all the buildings that detract from the overall image. If you could find a way to make them part of a less intrusive background, then it would be a better image IMHO. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

yeah good point, i wish i considered that.... the tree is probably about 25' away from where i shot and lays another 15' or so going away from the camera, my main concern with the tree extending away from me ensuring the whole thing was in focus. If i go back ill definitely attempt a tighter DOF.
I also agree that i would prefer the whole tree in the image but with the 50mm i would have had to step further back which would have allowed other distractions into the frame.

thanks for the feedback

A little instant fuzzy bokeh! lol

6783887356_41d9d66d25.jpg

Honestly, I don't think I would have taken the shot at all.

The TREE is definitely interesting, but there doesn't appear to be much there to work with artistically.

Sometimes what draws our eye isn't always something you can make work in a photograph.

There might be something there, but I can't see what it would be from what you've shown us.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back