Interpolation

bigfatbadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hello you good people,

I've been approached about doing some shots for a company that they want blown up to A3. I have a D50, and so am slightly dubious as to whether the pixel count will get me that far (it's 6).

When I've looked into submitting to Alamy, they've asked that images are interpolated to a certain size in photoshop, so that they can be used for bigger spreads. I kind of get what interpolation is (sampling pixels around another to generate new pixels thus increasing size, right?), but I always thought it wouldn't give you that much more image quality, am I wrong?

Can I interpolate the pictures to get more acceptable print sizes and are there any perils associated with this.

Thanks in advance!
Jon

I use interpolation when i do the artwork for a bus side advert or a billboard..... the bicubic smoother is my prefered choice..... it will make a lower rez image look better when blown up, by as you rightly said, increasing the pixel count.....

however i have not used it to increase the size of a photograph for optimal printing..... it would do the same thing if you wanted the pic to be massive.... but im not sure if it will make the photo look 'better'....... one thing it will probably do, is make your photo softer...... so you may want to consider this before you use interpolation.

A3 isn't really that big...you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Remember that something that is that size, isn't meant to be viewed up close. If you hang it on a wall and stand back, it will probably look pretty good.

Also, it helps if you maximize the sharpness from the start. Use a low ISO, a good lens, a tripod, M.L.U. etc.

Most reactions

Back