intimidated...

nolanator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, my name is Ryan and like the title says i am brand new and completely intimidated by photography. It was my great grandfather's passion up until his passing, and made enough of an impression that my father went to school for printing and photography, and made a profession of it, but i never quite caught on. I'd really like to learn as much as possible in a short amount of time as i will be leaving on a deployment to the jungles of the congo and think it would be an amazing opportunity to capture it on camera. I just (about an hour ago) brought home my first "serious?" camera (Canon Rebel XS) ...any advice would be great. thank you for your time. -ryan

Haha my name is Ryan too and I also picked up photography in my blood from my grandfather on my dad's side (who I never met). I think most people who suggest any advice on here for noobs would be to learn the exposure triangle. ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. I don't know if you know about them already just from your father but those are the essentials for photography. I think the XS is a good camera for someone who doesn't have any experience. It's an entry level DSLR and should be fairly easy to figure out. Once you master those three things, just practice shooting. You'll only get better by going out and taking pictures. I hope you have good luck in the future and welcome to TPF.

[...] as i will be leaving on a deployment to the jungles of the congo and think it would be an amazing opportunity to capture it on camera. [...]
UN...?

I agree - there should be some great photo opportunities...
I just (about an hour ago) brought home my first "serious?" camera (Canon Rebel XS) ...any advice would be great. thank you for your time. -ryan
Congrats on the new camera.

Probably the easiest thing to start on is Av. Aperture Priority.

You tell it what aperture to use, it uses an appropiate shutter speed.
When you have that mastered, start playing around in Manual mode.

I find manual mode to be good for things like macro but for those quick moments that you just don't have the time for, use Program. Sorry if anyone disagrees. It's not as basic as auto but it's a step between. I still use manual for probably 90% of my shooting but sometimes I just don't feel like scrolling dials all the time to get the correct exposure.

i'm in the navy seabees. as opposed to destroying things, we build schools,hospitals,etc and try to get communities back on their feet. i'll be in spain for about 3 months and then off to the congo. i'm really looking forward to it. thank you for the advice. i'm going to read the manual and then start playing:mrgreen:

My one piece if advice will be this - don't feel intimidated. There isn't a REAl "way" of photography - it's what YOU like. Go out there with confidence and come home with pride. You'll get some good shots there. Just remember - it's what you like. Don't feel like you're doing anything wrong. As long as you have common sense and good eye you'll do fine. Everyone has a good eye - but one persons style (or "eye) may be different from someone elses. The best way to learn is to practice - just keep taking shots at differet angles, with different composition, color, light, etc. and you'll find your style.
Welcome to TPF, we're looking forward to some pictures!
Jeremy

My one piece if advice will be this - don't feel intimidated. There isn't a REAl "way" of photography - it's what YOU like. Go out there with confidence and come home with pride. You'll get some good shots there. Just remember - it's what you like. Don't feel like you're doing anything wrong. As long as you have common sense and good eye you'll do fine. Everyone has a good eye - but one persons style (or "eye) may be different from someone elses. The best way to learn is to practice - just keep taking shots at differet angles, with different composition, color, light, etc. and you'll find your style.
Jeremy

+1 on all points. How soon is soon, OP? You can learn a lot more in three months then one.

I find manual mode to be good for things like macro but for those quick moments that you just don't have the time for, use Program. Sorry if anyone disagrees. It's not as basic as auto but it's a step between. I still use manual for probably 90% of my shooting but sometimes I just don't feel like scrolling dials all the time to get the correct exposure.

I agree.

Jeremy

+1 on all points. How soon is soon, OP? You can learn a lot more in three months then one.

soon is two weeks, but i'll have the internet for the first 2 months i'm away.

i'm in the navy seabees. as opposed to destroying things, we build schools,hospitals,etc and try to get communities back on their feet. i'll be in spain for about 3 months and then off to the congo. i'm really looking forward to it. thank you for the advice. i'm going to read the manual and then start playing:mrgreen:

My dad was in the seabees too.

Jeremy

Great! Be sure to upload some pictures and keep us updated on your progress! You're going to have A LOT of fun!

Jeremy

Great! Be sure to upload some pictures and keep us updated on your progress! You're going to have A LOT of fun!

Jeremy

i really like how welcoming and helpful the users on this forum have been. i'm trying to do a lot of searching and reading to avoid asking repetitive questions and already i have learned a lot.

Unfortunately, i will not be able to post pics of the Congo while i am gone, because the first two months i mentioned where i will have internet will be spent in Spain. Im sure Spain will have some interesting sights though. I am extemely excited about all of this...not so much about the single 18-55mm lens i have though:meh:

You WILL get nice shots in Spain - check out the active threads - theres a post with some pictures from Spain.
Can't wait to see them.

Don't worry about the lens too much - a great picture is a great picture. The kit lens is still going to be great - especially in a beginners eyes.
The pictures are going to come out great as long as you keep the camera steady and get used to it.
Do you have anymore money left for a cheap lens on the side? The 18-55mm will take great landscapes and such - theres a cheap 50mm macro out there too though.

You WILL get nice shots in Spain - check out the active threads - theres a post with some pictures from Spain.
Can't wait to see them.

Don't worry about the lens too much - a great picture is a great picture. The kit lens is still going to be great - especially in a beginners eyes.
The pictures are going to come out great as long as you keep the camera steady and get used to it.
Do you have anymore money left for a cheap lens on the side? The 18-55mm will take great landscapes and such - theres a cheap 50mm macro out there too though.

there's a 75-300mm FS on here. i pm'd him. i'd like to pick that up if possible

Most reactions

Back