Into the Land of Diminished Return

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
797-r9707.jpg

What are those ridges in the foreground? They add interest to the shot. And I love the 'texture' of that dried earth, with the ridges leading my eye into the shot and to the far off mountains. Gorgeous compostion

Lovely photo.

Thank you.

What are those ridges in the foreground? They add interest to the shot. And I love the 'texture' of that dried earth, with the ridges leading my eye into the shot and to the far off mountains. Gorgeous compostion

Thanks.

Those are narrow gauge railroad ties eaten by salt on the lakebed over the last 68-80 years. After the little railroad was abandoned the rails were salvaged for scrap and years later the religious colony that lived nearby would use them for firewood. As time went on, they would have to walk further and further to get firewood (a couple miles), and eventually they came to a point of diminished return, a point where it wasn't worth the long walk to get the firewood.

-

Excellent image Walter, very desolate.....and as usual an interesting story to go with it.

Thanks Roger. This is one of those locations I would never had known were there if I hadn't had studied the history. There's no way it can be seen just by gazing across the playa.

:thumbup:

If this shot wasn't already nominated, I would have done so.

:thumbup:

If this shot wasn't already nominated, I would have done so.

Very cool of you to say, and thank you very much!

Most reactions

Back