Introducing myself from Beijing

RaptorRex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Derek. I am a Canadian living in Beijing. Lots of people back home want pictures so I finally got around to making an online gallery for them and thought I'd just keep adding to it. I even think I want to start taking a better quality of pictures - I've just used poor quality P&S digitals so far.

But unfortunately, this is Beijing where the air is thick with pollution and picture taking weather is as dismal as the air is sometimes yellow. So for the last couple weeks I haven't felt too motivated to take pics on the few hours I have outside of working.

But I have a vacation coming up and I'm hoping to find a way to take nice pictures even under a smog painted sky. Or maybe showing the pollution will be the point of the pictures.

So anyways, that is what got me starting to visit this forum and I'm sure I'll get lots of great tips from it as I'm a totally newbie (like what does DSLR actually stand for?)

Have a great day !

Welcome!

DSLR= Digital Single Lens Reflex

It is the digital version of a 35mm Single Lens Reflex camera.

Welcome.....

Some very nice shots, thanks for sharing. My wife and I are planning a trip to Beijing in '09 after the Olympics. Am really looking forward to it.

What are you doing there, student or working?

Hi Derek, welcome aboard.

Well thanks for the DSLR info. In answer to a question: I work. I'm a software developer.

You may have noticed how few people were in those pics of the summer palace, the Forbidden City and Tiananmen square. That is because I go to these things the week *after* the national holidays. At normal times they are busy, at holidays they are insane, but once everyone goes back to the countryside after their holidays (and it isn't a foriegner holiday) those places are pretty empty.

So there's a tip for you. Off season is the 2nd week of May, the second week of October or the week after the new year festival (whereever that lays).

And thanks everyone for your kind welcomes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back