Introducing Myself

catalina73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi - I do graphic design for work and have recently gotten into photography as a hobby, hopefully to add onto my professional repertoire. I started off with a Sony Cybershot DSCT70, mainly doing closeup/macro shots. I recently got a Nikon D3200 and am just starting to use it. I have SO much to learn: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. I definitely feel overwhelmed.

My first problem is that this camera doesn't take extreme closeups, as I had started off doing with my previous camera. I think that I would have an easier time learning how to use the different features of the camera if I could take the type of pictures that I am comfortable with. My 2nd problem is that i really don't have much/any money to spare, the camera was a huge expense. I've been looking around for a macro lens that I could use, but want to make sure that it has autofocus. I realize that this probably isn't the place to ask questions, just to introduce myself, so I'll start looking around this forum. Any suggestions/info about macro lenses would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lenses I've "looked at":

[h=1]Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens (expensive!)[/h]Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Motorized Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to TPF! MY suggestion on macro lenses has long been this:buy a macro lens as a used lens! Look at KEH.com's on-line site for a good idea of what's available used. The zoom lenses listed as "macro" are not truly macro lenses...for a true macro lens, you need to buy a single focal length lens that is TRULY a macro, like the 85mm Micro~Nikkor. Nikon specifies its real macro lenses as "Micro~Nikkor" lenses.

What do you think of this, Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras? You think a fixed focal length is better than zoom?

I think short macros, like 40 to 60mm models, are not all that fun to use, except for document copying. I REALLY think that prime macros are far better than macro zooms. Also, I think 85-90-100-105mm macros are the way to go for a first macro lens.

Most reactions

Back