Introduction and Questions

Nuno Sousa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, im a fresh new member on this forum, and aswell in the photography world. I'm a Portuguese guys, living in the small islands called Azores in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The landscape here is breathtaking and that inspired me to start learning about photography. I got a Canon 700d with the kit lens 18-50mm and recently bought some cheap nd filters to help me with some long exposures.

For my questions, would love to know where is the right place to post a picture i took so you guys could explain me why is it so poor quality. I tried a long exposure at the beach, but the shot came up with red pixels all over the place, the image was not sharp at all though i shot in f16-f18, and that seems to be an overall problem with the shots i took.

Would love to know where can i post some examples of the shots i took so you guys can help me figura out what's wrong.

Best Regards, and thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forums mate.

With regards to where to post photos I opt to post them on Flickr and embed them here by copying and pasting the BB code from Flickr.

Your long exposure issue sounds like hot pixels on the sensor, how long was your exposure time?. Try shooting f8-f11 for best sharpness, diffraction can come in at f16-18. Also how steady is your tripod? I got a few blurred shots before just from the slight movement of a tripod on soft sand, and be aware of sources of vibration too.

For my questions, would love to know where is the right place to post a picture i took so you guys could explain me why is it so poor quality.
You should post in either the General Gallery, or in the Landscape if it is a landscape.

Ok. thanks a lot for your reply, i uploaded the pics on Flickr and i'll post them on Landscape. Just this once i´ll link them here so you can give me your 2 cents, would really appreciate your help because im desapointed with the images...

Here they are:

IMG 2663 Flickr - Photo Sharing

IMG 2643 Flickr - Photo Sharing

Thanks in advance

Just this once i´ll link them here ..
You will get more looks if you post the photographs into a thread directly.

If you post one photograph per thread, you will get more C&C.

If you post links as you have here, many members will not click the links.

I don't really see the hot pixels? Could you point us to them? I do see a lot of CA that you can fix easily in post. Also, a bit of noise...

BUT, aside from the CA, the images look pretty decent to me. (Personally, I don't mind the bit of noise, but I would like to see a shorter exposure time to be able to see the water better.)

Why are you disappointed in them? What were you expecting?

Thanks for the Input Waday. Im afraid i dont know what some expressions mean, cause im just too beginner in photography. What is CA? The background mountain is completely blurred, although i used high f (f16 if not mistaken) and even the foreground is not as sharp as i see in some pictures.. about the red dots, i dont think is burned pixels, because they are all over the picture, along with some white ones. i was just hoping for a much sharper image everall...any tips?

What you are seeing as blur just looks like underexposure, a bit of noise and some haze to me.

Nice shots by the way I like them!

Thanks for the Input Waday. Im afraid i dont know what some expressions mean, cause im just too beginner in photography. What is CA? The background mountain is completely blurred, although i used high f (f16 if not mistaken) and even the foreground is not as sharp as i see in some pictures.. about the red dots, i dont think is burned pixels, because they are all over the picture, along with some white ones. i was just hoping for a much sharper image everall...any tips?

I'm with waday....I think these look pretty decent. The background mountain blur you refer to might be the CA, the fine red to blue shadow along the ridge. But completely blurred......not at all. And I'm not seeing any hot pixels either.

If you are just starting out I might suggest to you.....don't be a pixel peeper. That is, don't look at your pictures at 200% magnification and start picking out imperfections. You'll make yourself crazy because you will always find faults at that kind of magnification.

I think your pictures look very good.

Welcome, by the way.

If what you are looking for is extreme depth of field then you will have to focus stack. Where did you place your focus? Focus stacking is taking multiple exposures with the focus at different points; example: focus in the foreground, again in the mid and again in the far background. Take identical exposures with only the focus point changing and then stack them in photoshop.

HOWEVER-- I think you probably have unrealistic expectations. These are nice photos and there is a small part of me wondering if you are just trying to get attention here... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are actually disappointed with your shots... to which I say.... what did you really expect?? You have nice colors, the long exposure of the water looks good and the DOF is good. You can only have one thing in perfect sharp focus without stacking.... but stacking is usually reserved for Macro where the DOF is minimal.

Thanks a lot for the Inputs guys, it was my first try at long exposures, just took the shots as soon as my filters arrived from Amazon ;) Everyone was very helpfull, and after reading a bit more i think i might have underexposed just a bit, will try to correct that next time. And im very glad i found this forum, it is a great place to help someone who just started get some questions answered and to learn very interesting techniques!

"If what you are looking for is extreme depth of field then you will have to focus stack" - Im afraid im still too fresh in editing to know how to do this. i just used f16 because i thought that way everything would be in focus. I placed my focus in the foreground, but i had one problem. Since i was using a ND10 filter, i focused without the filter, and then switched to manual. But when inserting the filter, the focus ring always rotated a bit from me handling the lens...is there a technique to insert the filters without messing with the focus?

"I think you probably have unrealistic expectations" - I probably do, i've been reading some Photography book and some of the pictures displayed are incredibly sharp, and as soon as i zoomed my shots in Lightroom, they just loooked awfull..but i understant im too perfectionist and i'll work around it.

"These are nice photos and there is a small part of me wondering if you are just trying to get attention here" This is a compliment and i appreciate your help, im sorry it might seemed my intentions were other than getting some help and feedback on the first shots i took with filters on.

Thanks again for the C&C ;)

Most reactions

Back