Introduction into studio and strobe lighting

N

NedM

So I really want to expand my knowledge on lighting and how photographers can control lighting.
Particularly using 'strobe' and 'studio' lighting.
Let me first start off by saying I have no idea what strobe lighting is.

I am completely new to all of this in regards to lighting.

The only experience I have in lighting is using a fill flash for my portraiture work.

I would like to know all that I can about using strobe lights and studio lights.

A strobe light USED TO refer to a rapidly repeating light, but has come to mean an electronic flash of almost any type...

Start here Photoflex Lighting School | Photoflex

So when people refer to strobe lighting, it's just another term for an off camera flash such as a speedlite?

Like Derrel says,these days it basically means anything that isn't a continuous light.
And wait'll you see all the "strobists" and "strobist style flash" stuff that's all over the internet now,as if you weren't confused enough.

Although,the guy that coined the phrase,Dave Hobby, has some good stuff on there. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

A strobe light USED TO refer to a rapidly repeating light, but has come to mean an electronic flash of almost any type...

Start here Photoflex Lighting School | Photoflex

So when people refer to strobe lighting, it's just another term for an off camera flash such as a speedlite?

Technically correct, however, most on this forum differentiate between speedlights and studio strobes. The studio grade strobes generally have more power, and are not installed in the hotshoe of your camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back