Introduction

Sailing Smudge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Just a quick hello, just looking to enter the world of photography and thought I'd sign up here for advice and pointers.

Would like to get good at Portrait photography as I have 2 young children and would love to develop my photography skills whilst capturing those family moments...

In the longer term I would love to turn an interest into a living and have giving myself a 2 year time frame to learn what I can about photography before seeing if I can do it more seriously than an Beginner.

The first challenge is what camera?
Do I go for entry level or opt for a higher end model with a view to my longer term goal?

Any initial advice greatly received :)

Last edited:
Welcome!

What is your initial budget? If you purchase an entry-level DLSR now, I doubt you can wear it out in two year's time, but you can try. If your budget will allow an "enthusiast level" camera, you might be set for becoming a professional. Be sure to budget for a few good lenses, some lights, modifiers, backdrops, and editing software.

I thought I would opt for used equipment to start and was looking at Camera + Lenses for about £1000... this could be increased if the view was that I need to spend more. Just feel a bit lost by all the options LOL.

Was thinking of a choice between 1100d / 40d or 7d? (Canon) all used and range from £100 - £450

Welcome o the forum.

The most important thing at this stage, is that you learn the fundamentals of photography, and any DSLR will work for that. The main difference between an entry level DSLR like the 1100D and a mid-level camera like the 40D, is the size and layout of the camera body.

The entry level bodies (three or four digit names on Canon cameras) are smaller and lighter. They have less external controls, which require you to use the menu more often. For example, they only have one control dial, so to change the aperture in manual mode, you have to press a button while scrolling the dial. The larger camera bodies have a dial and a wheel which allows for 'better' direct control of the settings. The larger bodies also have more buttons, which directly access common settings.

You can still do just about all the same things with either level of camera, you just access the controls differently.

Possibly a more important factor is how the camera feels in your hands. I have large hands and the smaller cameras feel too small to me. I prefer the feel of the larger & heavier cameras. Of course, you can adjust to whatever you get, but it is something to consider.

There is also the robustness of the camera body. The smaller ones have more plastic parts, compared to the larger bodies which have a but more metal. The entry level cameras don't have much in terms of environmental sealing, whereas the mid level bodies have some manor of protection around the openings, to help keep water and dirt out. The pro level bodies (1DX) are designed to keep working in a steady rain.

So while there are plenty of differences, they all do the same thing, which is allow you to take photos...and like I said, the goal here is to learn the basics. Once you understand photographer better, and once you have a better idea of what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it, you will be able to better choose which gear will suit you best.

Choosing the lens or lenses is probably a more important decision. You can learn the basics with just about any lens. My suggestion would be to get a basic zoom lens. Something like the 18-55mm 'kit lens' that usually comes with entry level cameras, and also get a 'fast prime' lens....the 50mm F1.8 is a popular choice because it's very inexpensive. If budget allows, you could choose a better option for either suggestion.

Welcome aboard.

Many thanks for the warm welcome and i have now decided on the EOS 40d. Thanks for the pointers :)

Most reactions

Back