Introductions...

Matt Friedman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess I should introduce myself.

I've been a photographer for many years. I started when my dad brought a Pentax Spotmatic 2 home when I was a kid. I still have that camera. Continued through high school and college, and in my first career as a journalist. But I fell out of photography after a while, as my career path changed, and feature phones and then smart phones became ubiquitous.

I got back into photography seriously a few years ago, and for the last couple of years, I've been getting back into film photography (I still have my dad's Pentax!). I shoot both film and digital, though I think I prefer film, and it has become (again) a part, Mi of my livelihood. In fact, my academic persona (I'm a history professor) and my photographic persona have begun to overlap in a book project I am working on, on American memorials and public historical memory.

In terms of gear... Nikon D500, Canon EOS Rebel XT, Pentax Spotmatic 2, Minolta SR-T 202, Minolta SR-T 101, Minolta SR-T SC II, Minolta XG-M, Minolta XE-7, two Minolta X-700s, Minolta Maxxum XTSi, and more glass than I need. I'm not really a collector, but I teach photography from time-to-time, and the old mechanical SLRs have been useful as loaners.

Welcome!

We've got a couple of other professors hanging around here... welcome.

Welcome to TPF! Your photographic history sounds interesting. Please take some time to check out our Gallery section, where you can post your work by category (landscape, people, etc.). It's a great way to get to know your fellow TPF'ers!

Keep posting, and have fun!

Welcome. It sounds like you will be giving rather than getting advice here! I hope to see whatever you may share soon.

Welcome. It sounds like you will be giving rather than getting advice here! I hope to see whatever you may share soon.
Oh... Hell no! ;) Seriously, I was out of photographic action from the mid-90s until about 2009. I have a lot to catch up on. But photography is a little like riding a bike, and I like to think that I still have my eye.

As for the tech... Well, there are things that befuddle me -- like the wonky battery compartment in my XE-7. I'll post some picture in the gallery...

You sound a lot like me.
Have me AE-1 since 78 or so.
Got an EOS650 in 93 or so.
Lost track of the guys I used to go shooting with.

About 95 or 96 it got down to Ellington Field on weekends. By 99 it was over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You sound a lot like me.
Have me AE-1 since 78 or so.
Got an EOS650 in 93 or so.
Lost track of the guys I used to go shooting with.

About 95 or 96 it got down to Ellington Field on weekends. By 99 it was over.

Ha! It could well be!

I actually wrote about my photo-biography on my blog (or one of my blogs)here: A Life on Film | Matt Friedman Photography. How well do we match up?

I never did Journalism. But I was approaching Pro as a film photographer.
I have about 22 rolls that need developed.
They may not give up much. But I'd sure like to try.

welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another film shooter. I too started with a Pentax, a K1000 I got as an X-Mas gift in 1980 which I still shoot use.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another film shooter. I too started with a Pentax, a K1000 I got as an X-Mas gift in 1980 which I still shoot use.
Yeah, the K1000 is built like a Tank. I still use my dad's Pentax Spotmatic II, although I'm mostly a Minolta person now.

Most reactions

Back