Investment in your photographic equipment and other expenses

... so back to amateur photographers ... most of the non-Professional photographers on this forum spend in excess of $2000.00 for this hobby and do not feel that is excessive ?

I don't feel that it's excessive.

I guess it all depends on how much money you have to blow on non-essential items though...

Like I said earlier - I probably spend close to $2000 a year on beer... If I quit drinking and devoted all of that money to photography, I'd have all the coolest toys.

And that's why I haven't done it yet! :lmao:

Seriously, $2,000 on cameras,lenses and lighting gear will not even make a DENT in a budget for a serious hobbyist, especially one who has been at it for a long period of time. I mean, sorry, but look at the price of ONE, single good speedlight flash like a Canon 580-EX II or Nikon SB 900. Consider the price of an 85mm 1.8 lens. Perhaps the definition of "hobbyist" is the area where the OP's definition and that of others diverge; by hobbyist, I mean the guy or gal who really,really enjoys photography and is a dedicated,serious amateur photographer who is buying modern,digital equipment and modern, quality mid-level to pro-level lenses.

ANybody who owns a 70-200 f/2.8 Canon or Nikon + base model D-SLR + a mid- to top-level speedlight has already sunk $2k into the outfit. THen there are memory cards, computer(s),printers,etc.

By hobbyist I do not mean the mom or dad with a camera, 18-55 and 55-200 kit zooms and a Rebel or D60 and a speedlight...so, perhaps that's where the divergence of opinion on the $2k limit comes from.

Canon T1i + EF-S 18-55mm = $770.00
Canon EF 55-250mm = $255.00
Canon 430 EX-II flash = $310.00
Camera 100-DG bag = $70.00
Sandisk 32G SDHC card = $125.00

Total = $1530.00

hmm, need to add tripod, C-Pol filter ...

Canon T1i + EF-S 18-55mm = $770.00
Canon EF 55-250mm = $255.00
Canon 430 EX-II flash = $310.00
Camera 100-DG bag = $70.00
Sandisk 32G SDHC card = $125.00

Total = $1530.00

hmm, need to add tripod, C-Pol filter ...

And that's just 2 lenses... I have 7. I am an amateur/hobbyist.

I know other amateurs that have more lenses than me...

Wouldn't enjoyment be justification enough?

For me.. nope... you are lying to yourself if enjoyment is all you need for justification. For some of my friends/acquaintances it is enough and that's why they are broke or in huge debt. They justify the latest and greatest equipment each and every year....

Justification for me is food, shelter, transportation (to work), health, investment for future, etc...

I don't justify my purchases... I do it because I simply want to. I shudder at how much I've spent... even then.. no where close to the value I have seen in some camera bags.
Having an enjoyable hobby is an investment in my mental health. Without a hobby I'd go nuts.

Back in 1984, from what I remember:

Canon T-70 + FD 50mm = $330.00
Canon FD28-85mm = $200.00
Canon FD70-210 = $200.00
Canon Flash = $100.00
Bag = $40.00

Total = $870.00

... If I quit drinking and devoted all of that money to photography, I'd have all the coolest toys.

but you wouldn't have any Beer !!!

I am not sure if I could make that sacrifice.
Brewing your own beer is a great hobby!! ;)

And one that I've been wanting to get into for a while now. I don't expect to save any money with it, but if I can have better beer for the same money - I still win!

... so back to amateur photographers ... most of the non-Professional photographers on this forum spend in excess of $2000.00 for this hobby and do not feel that is excessive ?

I don't feel that it's excessive.

Not to mention the yearly upgrade that most amateurs go through....

In a 2-3 month time lapse...(credit card in zeros every end of month)

Nikon D80 18-135mm = 900.00
Warranty = 250.00
SB600 = 250.00
Tokina 10-17 = 650.00
NodalNinja(panoramic head) = 250.00
SD memory cards = 90.00
2x Vivitars 285 = 180.00
5 Light stands and sewells = 300.00
2 tripods = 250.00
2 umbrellas = 70.00
1 transmiter, 3 receivers, 2 adapters = 150.00
1 extra SLR battery = 50.00
2 AA bat. chargers and lots of AAbats. = 180.00
Bag = 65.00
10' Backdrop 3 piece stands = 160.00
Books = 120.00
Homedepot lights and worklights = 200.00
Painted backdrop = 60usd
Things I forget = ??
TOTAL = 4175.00

And lots, lots of study/reading hours

Plus Non photo related but also business related and bought on those days:
Netbook/accesories = 400.00
Canon Video Camera Vixia HF200 = 650.00
M-Audio USB Microphone = 100usd

Next stop... = some glass(~+700)

For me, as someone who had not have an expensive hobbie before, it feels as mucho dinero$, maybe for someone who used to like and practice stuff like Golf equipment, or motorcycles, or cars, or hunting, or skying, etc. might as well be just normal.

And I'm not even sure if I'm gonna "stay"(as hobbyist at least, ...pro? time will tell), I'm even starting to "like" those ~2000usd nice cameras that have good ISO performance, of course I have to stay focus.

What I do know is that Photography really got my attention, ...at least I'm gonna have good photo equipment for my Web Design business LOL.

Last edited:
<snip>... The hobbyists look at camera equipment as toys... <snip>
Oh really? So in your opinion, a hobbyist isn't concerned with trying to get the best image? Is it all down to the largest cache?

Don't kid yourself for a minute. Hobbyist can be just as brutal as professionals when it comes down to where final results are concerned. Just because a hobbyist isn't concerened with profit margin doesn't mean they are lacking in trying to get the best image quality possible.

I think he meant actually that, that hobbyists tend to look for having the best "toys"(besides skills) in order to achieve the best image quality.
He called the equipment toys because they cause some satisfaction by owning them, like a Harley Davidson, or a sport car.

I think. :D

You are right - Cameras are like toys to a hobbyist. There are a lot of hobbyists out there that are loaded. They are more than willing to spend 30-50K on a nice top of the line camera system. There are a lot of those people out there. The camera companies are targeting those people too. I don't think hobbyists don't care about image quality. Some of them actually are very skillful photographers. They can produce some great shots. Of course other hobbyists may not be as skillful. Your car illustration is good. How many people driving a 100K+ Porsche or a 300K+ Ferrari are professional race car drivers? Truth is, most of those people are 60+ year old retired folks who have lots of disposable money. Hence the majority of the expensive sports cars sold in America are AUTOMATIC! An Automatic sports car - that's an oxymoron! These are the guys who drive slowly on the highways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back