ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's the deal...

$50 one time membership fee
$30/month with a 12 month commitment
Commissions paid to the gallery are 25% for Art Council members (another $35)
45% for non Art Council members
Requirement to serve on the standing "Hanging and Food" committees at least 2x year.

This gets you a 2 month showing every year.. you have a room where you can display a lot of photos with prices..

So, I'm into just the fees for about $445/year... to break even, I'd have to sell about $575 for those 2 months..

Think I'll pass.... Anyone know if other galleries have such requirements?

That seems fairly reasonable to me, I'm not sure about the annual membership aspect, but the rest of the terms seem pretty standard. Try not looking at it as a year-long committment, but rather as renting two months of gallery space for less than $10/day.

Right now, all I really want to do is get my photographs out for as many people as possible to see them. Sales would be nice, and I HAVE sold several pictures in the past, but - not my primary goal at this time... "I" don't think I'm that good yet, but if others do, then I certaily wouldn't pass it up...

I'm in a small town of about 42K .. appears to be the only gallery in our area that offers an opportunity for 'untested' artists to display their work..

I think I've reconsidered.... After all, I like the idea of "where else can you 'rent' public space at an art gallery for under $10/day ??" I'll have my pictures on display for 2 months, and I can help the rest of the artists the rest of the year.... Perhaps, someone will remember my name if they're looking for a photograph, and want to support local artists...

Appreciate the input !!!

Several local cafes here have discovered they can get free artwork for their walls by displaying the art along with "local artist" info. Many artists include a price for the piece being shown and if it sells, they swap in something else.

That's unfortunately pretty typical, cost wise, and also time wise... Most galleries actually have you sit for the shop about 2x/week or so, depending. Meaning, it takes a lot of your time (2 days a week is a lot!).

I think it's due to the fact that galleries need to generate money to stay in business themselves... It's just too bad they take it from the artists. Maybe once the economy picks up things will change, haha.

That's unfortunately pretty typical, cost wise, and also time wise... Most galleries actually have you sit for the shop about 2x/week or so, depending. Meaning, it takes a lot of your time (2 days a week is a lot!).

I think it's due to the fact that galleries need to generate money to stay in business themselves... It's just too bad they take it from the artists. Maybe once the economy picks up things will change, haha.

And I also realize that "Art" is still a luxury these days ... just the way things are... :(

And I also realize that "Art" is still a luxury these days ... just the way things are... :(
Hogwash.
If you have a product people want, the customers are there.
You just need to reach them.

Most reactions

Back