Invoice from company to build studio (your thoughts?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotolover1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I am working on building a photo studio complex and this is one of the invoices I received from a dealer. He mostly sells the Broncolor brand. This is a list for a studio that is 5x10 meters. I'm very curious about a second opinion on this invoice. Everything is in euro's but the value isn't much more different from the dollar so I think it'll be around 13.500 USD..
P9UwLik.png

He's giving you a discount on everything! :)

You might be able to save some money by buying a less expensive brand.

As a small business owner ... my best advice to you is to save as much as possible in your first 3 years... starting up is rough and you can/will make costly mistakes... great gear is awesome to have... but try to save some money and focus that portion of the money on social media to get your word out... try YouTube channel ... who knows you my get sponsored or given free gear in the long run... almost anything you buy nowadays it's obsolete in a matter of 2/3 years... so save some money so when you're business is running at a good pace? You can sell you're (old) gear and buy new equipment keeping you up to date and you will also save on taxes because it will be a business expense....

I'm not trying to shy you away from anything just giving you my 2 cents from personal experience...

Well, thank you for your advice and I will definitely let it sink in but right now I am actually more curious about the products that he has recommended for a 5x10 meter studio.
Is this a good list of products? Is he trying to oversell and sell me items that I don't really need? I am going for a higher end studio. While I do like Broncolor I am personally convinced
that I can mix some of the listed items with a less expensive brand but almost equal in quality. What is your opinion? How much should I spend on a 5x10 studio in order to attract higher-end clients as well as hobbyists?

If you can afford it, why not buy the best equipment to put you in a position for a faster return on investment? Sure, there are probably less costly options but at the end of the day, it's about ROI. Your business plan should clearly spell this out numerically. If you don't have a business plan, you are starting off on the wrong foot and chances to succeed are greatly reduced.

Is the invoice too much? Who cares? Does it align with your business plan?

Marketing is huge and should be factored into your business plan. It is as important as your hardware. I assume your skill set is matched by your equipment selection. If your business plan is coming up short on the ROI, look carefully at your marketing strategy. A creative, and strategic marketing plan will drive the quicker ROI.

In summary, the cost of your equipment is a moot point in a well prepared business / marketing plan for your career path. If the vendor is reputable and professional, the cost should reflect this. Again, if you did your homework and due diligence by creating a solid business plan, you should know that equipment cost should be viewed as ROI. Chase the ROI through a solid business plan. Marketing your skill should be able to drive the quickest return on investment.

It looks as if you could trim back a few things on the list.
Do you really need a grid for everything? You have more grids than lights.
$200+ for a reflector? I know people say you get what you pay for but I can paint hard insulation foam for $30 and nobody will know the difference in the photo.
Lights. Will you use all the features that the lights offer? If yes then they are probably a good light. If no, is there a lower model that would better suit your needs?

Now having said the above if you want a "higher end studio" to me that means good quality gear with no DIY stuff so the price to me is what I would expect of a mid to high end studio.

That's really nice advice and I'd like to thank you for that. I have thought about a business plan and strategy. My budget for the equipment of the studio is 6000 euro/USD.
Any suggestions on what I could scrap off that list and replace?

Love the input and thinking process right there. Indeed, I am looking to trim off some of the costs as I believe not all of the features are essential and I also have a gut-feeling that the owner of the store is looking at this from a commercial standpoint rather than an educational one. I am not too familiar with the photo industry, I just know plenty of photographers that are looking for a space and I do have a warehouse so that's why I've decided to take on the challenge of building the studios. The reason why I did not immediately mention my budget is because I just wanted people to give me an honest opinion on the basic requirements of a professional photo studio. 6000 is my budget. I do love Broncolor and would definitely want to use some of their products because it's a great sell to pro-photographers and a strategic marketing move.

If you are using this as a space for rent type of studio then you do really care that photographer "X" gets wet over a specific brand? Don't play the brand fanboy game. Get what works. If photographer "X" won't rent your space because you don't have his brand?......He's the type of problem child you don't want.

The name of a light means absolutely nothing. There are a few quite good quality lights under the $1500 a head price range. I'm not saying buy Neewer or Godox gear and expect it to last but research what the pro studios in your area use. You want to balance a quality strobe that can take it's bumps and bruises (since you have no idea the care your clientele will have with the gear) but in turn will not break the bank.

If you want brand suggestions there are some great studio photographers here with a ton more experience than I and hopefully they will chime in with more specific things to look at.

Am I missing something?
YOU are opening a studio, but SOMEONE ELSE is choosing what you should use?
CalvinBlink2.gif
It's a proposal. The term "invoice" is not correct.

That's really nice advice and I'd like to thank you for that. I have thought about a business plan and strategy. My budget for the equipment of the studio is 6000 euro/USD.
Any suggestions on what I could scrap off that list and replace?
I will let the experts help you with the hardware. I encourage you to develop a business plan prior to any hardware purchase.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” – Benjamin Franklin

.. I am personally convinced that I can mix some of the listed items with a less expensive brand but almost equal in quality. What is your opinion?
I would purchase all the same light, and I suppose 4 units would be about right, but 800ws for a small studio might be a bit too much, and perhaps needless expense. If you are renting this space to hobbyists, then purchase a couple of spares because someone will smash one or two by knocking over a light stand. A less expensive brand that has good color is worth consideration.

I would lean toward the purchase of high quality softboxes, and get all the same make, but for things like scrims and reflectors and posing stools, you can probably make them yourself or purchase less expensive brands.

For some of the categories, like light stands, I'd bump up the quantity a few. 3 light stands seems like the bare minimum.

I'd say you need to see a few more proposals, and maybe you should make the selections yourself.

Did you tell this dealer the dimensions of your studio? If so, drop him and buy eleswhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back