iOptron Skytracker Pro - Any experience?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by naiku, May 16, 2018.

1. naiku

naiku TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone used the iOptron Skytracker Pro? If so, what did you think of it? easy to use? I am looking to pick one up shortly, but like to hear of others opinions of using it before buying one.

I already have a sturdy tripod to use which should be plenty capable enough to hold the camera + lens + Skytracker, so am good there. Just wondering how well the iOptron works and if there are any similarly priced alternatives.

Thanks.

2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What latitude do you live at?
    What is the longest focal length lens you intend to use?

I have the previous model. I got a well cared for used one for $200, including a Smith/Victor carbon fibre tripod, level, an Oben BE-117 ball head w/QR plate, and a carry case for the iOptron.
    Once set up and aligned well to celestial north it does a great job. The newer Pro model is a bit better than mine, though both have the max weight limit of 6.6 lbs.
    Because I live at 42° N latitude looking up through the alignment telescope is kind of a pain because of the steep angle.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. naiku

naiku TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am at 38°N. For the most part I plan to use a Tokina 11-16mm lens, but may use up to a 300mm as well if it will work. The tripod I have is rated for 26lb and I think the camera plus lens were both less than the 6.6lb limit.

Sounds like I may have the same difficulty with lining up Polaris, but it's not impossible. Have you tried the app at all?

4. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Like tripod weight limits, device performance begins to get iffy once 1/2 the max weight is put on the device.
    My DSLR & 80-200 f/2.8 weigh 4.5 lbs, the most weight I've had on my Skytracker.
    I only extend 3 of the 4 leg sections on my tripod to give it a tad more stability. Even better is to only extend 2 leg sections if you have a 4 leg section tripod.

As far as I know there is no app for my model.