ipad a bit OT but.......

ann

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone here use an IPad for traveling and as a device for temporary storage? If so, how has it worked out for you?

It crossed my mind recently, that it might be helpful in reducing the amount of equipment one tends to take when traveling; i.e. one could download ebooks, audio books, etc. as well as load photos removing the need for carrying several other devices including an external hard drive.

Anyone here use an IPad for traveling and as a device for temporary storage? If so, how has it worked out for you?

It crossed my mind recently, that it might be helpful in reducing the amount of equipment one tends to take when traveling; i.e. one could download ebooks, audio books, etc. as well as load photos removing the need for carrying several other devices including an external hard drive.

A laptop would make a better device. The price vs. storage potential of an iPad makes it rediculous to use for the purpose. When you're filling up 8GB cards with <300 photos, it doesn't really justify the use.

Now, for a traveling portfolio at an event where you know you'll need it, then yes, I could find a use for it.

It also lacks basic connectivity for devices (USB) and card reader. You'll need to by the connectivity kit to go along with it. Remember.. it doesn't run MAC OS X it runs Iphone/Itouch O/S which in of itself has limitations. Storage wise... its expensive when you break it down to $/GB.

Stick to a laptop.

thanks, it is always good get other input.

i have a small laptop,but hate reading ebooks from this device.

For the amount of space that an iPad (or laptop or netbook) takes up, you could probably pack 100 (or 1000) GB worth of memory cards. So I don't think that the storage space of your 'digital storage space' should be an issue.

Now, if you're talking about convenience, well then there are lots of things that an iPad would be good for. But as mentioned, you get more functionality with a laptop or even a netbook....probably with a lot more digital memory.

But if you're talking wow factor...the iPad is hard to beat.

And I should say that I am going to buy a 3G one or whatever revision they have by the time taxes roll around.

I'm going to jail break it and use it for things like the ability to turn it into a wifi hot spot, the ability to use it to remotely connect to other machines, and just general couch top browsing.

I have a Mac Pro at home, a macbook for work and an iPad for pleasure. What do I use most often at home? The iPad. I am sure others will have different opinions, but what I am impressed with is it's ability to browse the web and do email. We went on a trip this past weekend and I took the iPad, but not my laptop. It is considerably smaller and more convenient. Benefits:
- 10 hour battery life that is great for watching movies and playing games for the kids in the car.
- hooks up to the hotel wireless without any trouble
- took a bunch of shots on our trip (lots of friends and family) and it is much nicer to pass around the iPad rather than the the 3" display on the camera.
- there are apps to edit your photos on the iPad if you are so inclined.
- others will argue that it is not a colour corrected screen, but I find the benefit of size and ease of rotating to portrait or landscape is very nice.
- if you are keen on tech, you can jailbreak the ipad so that the USB adapter can wirelessly tether your device (article).
- If you do store the images on the iPad, when you connect it to your computer, the images can be synched back to Aperture or LR3 (I have done it with both)

I purchased a $300 netbook for a Europe trip earlier this year just for photo transfers. The biggest benefit is that it has a 160GB drive versus 64GB on the largest iPad. Other than that, I found the netbook experience very difficult as it tries to be a regular laptop but cannot keep up with the hardware installed. The ipad does not try to be a laptop and the software designed for it is very snappy. There are limitations on the complexity of the apps though as the OS limits the amount of memory available to a program.

My favourite app is the logMeIn Ignition. It lets me use wifi from anywhere to use my macbook or Mac Pro. If I forget a file at home or want access to a robust program, I can use this app to move files and do things the iPad is not capable of.

Sorry, lots of rambling there, but key features: good ereader (out of the sun), awesome movie player, lots of games to amuse your kids, great apps, apps are generally pretty inexpensive, and good photo viewer.

This idea all started with ebooks and wanting something for them, and thought the IPad might be a better options, than say kindle, but then i thought, hmmm, could it also cut down on extra tidbits of equipment that the digital age seems to have added to the camera bag *not that film didn't have "toys".

Old man your ramblings make lots of sense,as do the other thoughts on the pros and cons.

I have my eye out for what is going to happen with Itouch later this week as I have been a bit smitten with the IPhone camera and being able to process in camera (oops, phone) so i can be a :"geek holga" queen ;) but i don't want the phone so we shall see if the touch does end up a camera.

Most reactions

Back