IR Attempts

Mohain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gtbphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First attempts at IR with my 30D. Got a Kood IR filter to fit in the Cokin P filter holder but too much light is let in and reflects from the lens front and all the dust on the filter so I blue-tac'ed it directly to the ring adapor with a 'circle' of Blu-tac to get a light tight (ish) fit between the filter & the lens.

Anyway, the filter is pretty weak, I shot everything at 400iso and the results aren't great. Will try with a Hoya filter but the 72mm filters are V pretty expensive and I'm pretty spent out at the mo! When I have a spare few hundred I'll get a 350D converted ;)

_MG_2937_1.jpg

tringpark_ir2.jpg

tringpark_ir.jpg

TFL,

Mohain

Very cool. They have an eerie sort of tone to them. I think that the second is my favourite... the clouds look really neat.

number2 is stunning.... i think they came out great, i wondered what that filter was like. :thumbup:

wow these look pretty different then then the normal IR shots i make. The trees arent as white and stuff. But this looks awesome, really it does :)

wow these look pretty different then then the normal IR shots i make. The trees arent as white and stuff. But this looks awesome, really it does :)
Agreed; they don't have a "classic" IR look to them....more like a #25 or #29 red filter over B&W film, showing dramatic contrast. These images are really sharp and I love the cloud movement you captured. How long were these exposures? Did you add the vignetting using PS?

Hi Terri,

The filter certainly doesn't seem to be as strong as the Hoya or equiv. I just have to learn how to make the most of the equipment I have :) Exposures are 20 to 25s, there is a certain amount on vignetting straight from the camera but I have added a little more.

Hi Terri,

The filter certainly doesn't seem to be as strong as the Hoya or equiv. I just have to learn how to make the most of the equipment I have :) Exposures are 20 to 25s, there is a certain amount on vignetting straight from the camera but I have added a little more.
I like it. I keep studying the second one; it almost looks like a Lensbaby shot - more than likely due to the position of the clouds. Nice series. :thumbup:

I agree they don't have the typical IR look, but they are really wonderful.
I'm leaning toward the 2nd and 3rd, but I have a thing for creepy looking trees ;)

I've been playing around with IR recently, and these shots are stunning! Beautiful work.

Blu-tac on optical gear? scary! ;)

I really like the last two! that tree and the clouds, quite dramatic.

Very neat, I like them all. The second one is the best in my opinion. The relationship between the tree and the cloud was perfect in the second one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back