IR HELP NEEDED!!

thanks but that just ended up turing my whole image blue! haha

sounds like the custom white balance hasn't worked to me..... What camera do you have?........ are they all red in the camera preview screen?

If I hear anyone say that digital IR is as good as or better than real IR, I'm going to run around the city breaking every DSLR I see.

Interesting conversation though....carry on.

Archangel said:
sounds like the custom white balance hasn't worked to me..... What camera do you have?........ are they all red in the camera preview screen?
I have a nikon d70s and yes they are all red in the camera preview screen

MaxBloom said:
If I hear anyone say that digital IR is as good as or better than real IR, I'm going to run around the city breaking every DSLR I see.

Interesting conversation though....carry on.

um ok..... digital IR can be as good as as film (if you mean film by saying 'real IR')..... you best get smashing :lol:

photyo said:
I have a nikon d70s and yes they are all red in the camera preview screen

Hmmm.... they should be blueish/brown in the preview screen..... try retaking the white balence..... it took a few attempts for me to get a good one.....

Make sure its taken from a sunny area of grass and that the camera excepts it as a custom WB. ;)

ok, This is a long winded response, be prepared......

Here is the deal. 1 Film IR is better than digital IR because it does capture more detail and it is more sensitive to the IR spectrum.

However, to the layperson (not a photographer), a digital image and a film image held up next to each other, they will not be able to see the difference without it being pointed out to them.

End of that argument.

The shots with digital camera will come out red out of the camera. Best thing to do is shoot in raw and apply a software custom white balance. That is MY OPINION...don't argue with it, it is not a statement of fact, it is the best method I have found. Other ways are to shoot a custom white balance and use that for all your shots, however do to the movement of the sun, refraction of the atomsphere and about a billion other factors the white balance will need to be reshot throughout a day of shooting as the color of the light from the sun will change dramatically throughout the day.

I use a software white balance that I set in my camera raw software during processing, YMMV, Use your own best method.

once your white balance is set in raw software then your image will look more like IR.

I personally don't typically shoot IR in jpg mode, (ok, I have never shot IR in jpg mode) because I don't know of a way to change the white balance and therefore the shot will be red because the r72 filter I use filters everything above the red spectrum and most of visible red as well.

Just realized you stated you had a D70s. Shoot in RAW, you will be much happier with the results. They will be red coming out of the camera. You have to process them on your computer before they will look like film IR.

The D50 and the D70s both use the exact same sensor. with Digital IR you have the option of processing the photo to B&W IR or what is refferred to as False Colour IR. I personally prefer false colour, as does a friend of mine whose gallery is here.

Cheers,

OK its still not working Iv'e tried to use custom green wb's like 20 times and they still all come out blood red, any other suggestions?

What program do you use to adjust the white balance in RAW photos? I have Raw Essentials (I think that's the name... I could be off though) and it gives an eyedropper to adjust the white balance. I'm guessing it figures the white balance by me clicking on 50% grey but I'm totally guessing.

Could you give some more info on how to figure out what the white balance should be when editing in software? Thanks.

Archangel said:
um ok..... digital IR can be as good as as film (if you mean film by saying 'real IR')..... you best get smashing :lol:

Hmmm.... they should be blueish/brown in the preview screen..... try retaking the white balence..... it took a few attempts for me to get a good one.....

Make sure its taken from a sunny area of grass and that the camera excepts it as a custom WB. ;)

yes, in Rawshooter Essentials..... you select the custom white balance tool (the wb eyedropper).... and click on any part of green grass or tree area.
Thats basically it..... you should now have a blue/brown image which you should export as a tiff......
Once in ps..... you can then choose to adjust the levels/contrast as it is..... or if you want to make the sky blue again, (often known as IR false colour) you can swap the colour channels...... here's a link which can help you do this.....

http://home.comcast.net/~vicpinto/IRPostProcessTutorial-1.htm

photyo, if you cant get the custom WB to work, just shoot with auto WB..... then use the steps i'v discribed above in your RAW converter software..... but you cant use Photoshops own RAW converter because it has problems with the temperature gauge....... try a free RAW converter or Nikons own converter.

I'm going to respectfully and utterly disagree with the comments made about film IR being better than digital. I can digitally capture IR in every bit as much detail and better clarity than any IR film photo I've ever seen. I'm not a layperson saying that either.

That debate aside, the Nikon D70s and D50 are GREAT at infrared. THE ANSWER is to shoot in RAW. You can't do much with .JPG, but shoot in RAW, open your red image in Rawshooter and select the Whiteblanace eyedropper tool, click on something in the photo that is neutral gray or white, and the image will spring to life. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT. Custom white-balance by shooting a photo of grass or whatever *can* theoretically work, but this method is fast and easy. As mentioned above, save it as .JPG or .TIFF from Rawshooter and made additional tweaks in your favorite image editing software from there.

Adobe Lightroom also has a similar eye-dropper tool. Just shoot in RAW and your good to go. The photos I linked to above were taken using this method on my D50.

With Digital IR unless you white balance in camera the images will come out blood red. I find it easier to white blanace in post rather than deal with in camera white balance. One fo the advantages of shooting in raw.

it is likely that if you are attempting to white balance in camera your camera is not accepting your white balance shot. I have trouble getting mine to accept a shot for white balance. This is why I find it easier to white blance in post processing.

Shoot with auto white balance and then load the images up in raw shooter essentials, adobe camera raw, or whatever software came with your camera to open raw images with. Follow the steps in previous posts to adjust white balance, export as tif and do what you like with the image.

i shoot mine in jpg. and jsut get teh wb right the first time http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37772040/ strait outa the camera (well witha bit of levels and curves for brightness/saturation, thats it) make sure when you do the custom wb your doing it right (if you want me to eplain how pm me) and make sure that it flahses "good" after you take it, if it flashes "no gd" then the exposer wasn't right and you need to redo it

btw, i took that with a d50 and an old mf 28mm lens (or it was my 50mm, i don't remember lol)

Most reactions

Back