Iridient X-Transformer

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After I bought my X-T2, I started looking for a solution for processing RAF files.

I'm just going to throw a few that have gone through Iridient X-Transformer here. Maybe at some point, I'll also process them just with LR too so there be come comparison.

teganbeach by jwa04, on Flickr

daylily2018 by jwa04, on Flickr

jackcapecod2018 by jwa04, on Flickr

tuckerjuly2018 by jwa04, on Flickr

I use Irident for RAW conversion then Photoshop for polishing the images (burning, dodging, fine tuning color balancing and B&W conversion).

I too use Irident for RAW conversion but then head them over to Lightroom

So these were all done completely within LR. I set up XTransformer as an external editor in LR. It lets me use the DAM part of light room, cull, and then convert without leaving LR.

Interesting. I personally do not care to edit but if I do, I use the Fujifilm give away on their website. I think it is called Silkypix to convert, crop, minor edit. I occasionally use Alienskin Exposure X3 after to fine tune if needed. Having said that, one day, I'll probably get into a more advanced editing software program. Probably when I get a Mac. I would say 90% of my images are converted in camera, then use GIMP to resize and post on here.

So these were all done completely within LR. I set up XTransformer as an external editor in LR. It lets me use the DAM part of light room, cull, and then convert without leaving LR.

Well not really. I understand the need for X-Transformer (I also have a Fuji X-T2) but using that workflow puts a destructive hiccup into the process. If at any time in the future you decide that an image would be better if one of the X-Transformer parameters were modified then the LR processing work has to be done over. That's the destructive hiccup -- LR develop parameters can only back up to the DNG. You're also committing to saving those huge DNGs which may become an issue in the future as your catalog grows.

It's a knotty problem. My goal for a processing workflow is completely non-destructive and non-linearly re-editable. I'm not entirely there yet either using C1 but I'm close.

Photos look good.

Joe

I really enjoy using Iridient X-Transformer. I've got the settings down pretty well and honestly can't tell the difference from my full frame D610 raw files in terms of details. Sometimes the Fuji XT2 files are better lol. Probably because there is no AA filter.

I'm leaning toward not even importing the RAFs into LR anymore and letting X-Transformer process them first before I import to LR. But right now, I import into LR and make my selections and then process my picks using X-Transformer. It works for me. Yes, it slowed my workflow a little but but I spend WAY less time editing my photos now with the Fuji because the colors from Fuji's sensor suits my needs better. So really, I didn't lose much time.

Works for me.

I really enjoy using Iridient X-Transformer. I've got the settings down pretty well and honestly can't tell the difference from my full frame D610 raw files in terms of details. Sometimes the Fuji XT2 files are better lol. Probably because there is no AA filter.

I'm leaning toward not even importing the RAFs into LR anymore and letting X-Transformer process them first before I import to LR. But right now, I import into LR and make my selections and then process my picks using X-Transformer. It works for me. Yes, it slowed my workflow a little but but I spend WAY less time editing my photos now with the Fuji because the colors from Fuji's sensor suits my needs better. So really, I didn't lose much time.

Works for me.

How do you cull? That’s the workflow I thought I wanted, but it’s really annoying preview/delete in Finder on my Mac. I guess I could do it in camera.

Works for me.

How do you cull? That’s the workflow I thought I wanted, but it’s really annoying preview/delete in Finder on my Mac. I guess I could do it in camera.

I import the files into Lightroom and make my selections and then process my favorite ones using X-Transformer. I'm a selective shooter anyways so I don't have 500 photos from one shoot unless I travelled somewhere like to a city or something, then I would copy all the files on the memory card into a folder, then I'd use X-Transformer to process them all first outside of LR which will take a little bit of time and THEN finally I'll import those DNG files into Lightroom and not the RAFs. Some people like to keep the RAF files but I don't bother unless it's a special photo then I may keep it just in case.

Works for me.

I import the files into Lightroom and make my selections and then process my favorite ones using X-Transformer. I'm a selective shooter anyways so I don't have 500 photos from one shoot unless I travelled somewhere like to a city or something, then I would copy all the files on the memory card into a folder, then I'd use X-Transformer to process them all first outside of LR which will take a little bit of time and THEN finally I'll import those DNG files into Lightroom and not the RAFs. Some people like to keep the RAF files but I don't bother unless it's a special photo then I may keep it just in case.

Good stuff. I have to cull more because taking photos of kids is such a crapshoot, but I might give your method a shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back