Iris siberica

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Patrick's new thread "First Bloom" inspires me to put up these recent photos of our irises that also started blooming a while ago and I just could not stay here in my study, see them, and not take their picture (this itch overcomes me year after year.... :roll: ). Only do I have to make do with the background there is, I can't replace it by a black one to make the blossoms stand out even more.

Iris4_sibirischeSchwertlilie.jpg

On a day without sun here...

... and two more taken on a sunny day:

Iris7_sibirischeSchwertlilie.jpg

Iris9_sibirischeSchwertlilie.jpg

Only do I have to make do with the background there is, I can't replace it by a black one to make the blossoms stand out even more.
Yes you can. Get someone to hold some black card, or even better, some black fabric behind it as you take the picture.

The first is better. The sunny day ones may come out better with a polarizer attached.

I wish I had some pretty flowers to take pictures of. :(

oh LaFoto! I duuno why but all the irises are dead right now here! I think something is wronf with the weather! I saw iris here a month ago and now every iris is dead :(

Ohhh... preetttyyy. I really like the first one. The colour purple is just so much richer!
I really like the background too. The green goes great with the purple.

LaFoto, that first shot is wonderful.

Personally I find the backgrounds bang on. Much more natural, more real, than having a "studio" look to them.

:thumbsup:

Thank you all!
I liked the flowers best (when looking at them through my study window) when the sun illuminated them from behind, and I tried to capture that with my "sunny" photos. Seems like the colour comes out better without the sun...

Mentos, my flowers are drying up now, too. Their time is May. Not June.

Seems like the colour comes out better without the sun...
The sun was too strong. It washes out the colours. That and the parts in sun are very bright and the parts in shadow are dark compared to them. So exposure can be a pain. You can use an umbrella (black or white to avoid casting a colour onto the flowers) and shade them. That'll also help protect them from any wind so they're not moving.

LaFoto said:
Only do I have to make do with the background there is, I can't replace it by a black one to make the blossoms stand out even more.
Well, I like the background colours, even if it is a bit overlit (the background I mean). The second one is my favorite. You could use a flash and close the aperture, less exposure time as well...
Nice shots...

Great Shots! It's always amazing to see how flowers change their color when lit differently or seen from different angles. Great!

Most reactions

Back