Is 3 point AF good enough?

Cero21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm at a crossroads. I'm seriously looking into getting a nice DSLR but I'm torn because not one camera has all the features I want. In addition to producing nice photos I am looking for a camera with:
1) A Dust Reduction System (Vibrating sensor sort)
2) In-body IS (since IS lenses are so crazy expensive)

So, I end up with really only 2 options:
1) The Olympus evolt 510
2) Sony A-100

I really like the fact that the Olympus has the best dust reduction system on the market (it seems Sony's doesn't work as well) and it also has LiveView, which might be interesting when trying to take photos in awkward positions.

However, the e510 only has a 3 point auto focus versus the Sony's 9 point. Should I be concerned? I want to be able to take action shots as well and more focus point is supposed to be better for that?

What do you recommend? Should I be looking at other cameras as well? Thanks.

I would probably go with the Sony of the two. 3 points is lite if you are going to be shooting large groups and want to focus on an individual.

The live view is a gimmick, you can see through the view finder just fine (if it's normal size) but you can't see an LCD in bright daylight! Plus, if you are operating an LCD that much your battery life if nonexistent.

If you are still undecided, total the price of a Sony camera body and all the lenses that you could reasonably expect to get and then price Nikon and Canon using their anti-vibration systems (it tends to work better in the lens anyway- it's physics). You might be surprised when you also take into consideration that the IS and VR lenses are some of the very best lenses made.

mike

Ignore Dust reduction. There's plenty of sensor cleaning options out there and most work very well. The incamera ones are more of a marketing tool anyway, they don't work too well from what I've read and heard.

What do you recommend? Should I be looking at other cameras as well? Thanks.

I cannot recommend any of these cameras as I never used them (I don't even have a digital camera), but you could also look at the Pentax K100D (or the more expensive K10D), which offer an anti-vibration system.

I would probably go with the Sony of the two. 3 points is lite if you are going to be shooting large groups and want to focus on an individual.

Regards the above, you only need a single point to lock on an individual in a group.

I have 9 point AF on my 20d and 90% of the time it's set to a single AF point.

The one time you'll see the difference is when using AI Servo.... this is where the camera tracks a moving subject - like a kid running about or a sportsman in a field or a bird in flight.. 3 AF points will probably not be enough....... 9 struggles..... I want the 45 point AF of a 1 series :)

Same here, I have the E-500 and of the three I only use the middle AF point. Dust reduction works fine, no dust yet (a spec appeared once, disappeared the next time I turned on the camera). I've taken action shots with all three on, haven't had a problem. The 40-150 is quick to focus, and the C-AF tries to predict the movement of your subject and focus accordingly.

I have the E500 as well and it works fine. I find the controls and options sufficient and easy to use. The ones on Canons and Nikons are cumbersome. But this is a personal thing.
Best thing to do is pick up cameras and try them. If they feel awkward then don't buy them. Go for one that feels good in your hands.

Every time I read the headline, I think back to most of my photography career, when there was NO autofocusing... I am so freaking old.

As time goes on you may relize that you don't need IS for every lens based on your shooting habits/subjects. If you go with OLY you will always need to by the branded lens There are excellent 3rd party lenes that are made for Canon and Nikon,There are also some for Pentax and Sony but I only know of one 3rd party lens for Oly, and I think it is a macro.

Nope, sigma and another company I can't remember the name right now are coming up with a bunch of third party four third lenses. So that won't be an issue. With the added advantage of less production costs. Also an unprecedented f2.0 14-35mm and 35-100mm, and an f2.8 90-250mm. 2x crop factor.

Every time I read the headline, I think back to most of my photography career, when there was NO autofocusing... I am so freaking old.

Oh I know that feeling, without actually being old. I learnt on a now 35 year old camera. Now I use a D200 with an amazing 11 point autofocus. I like the middle one. It's where the pentaprism was, I don't think I've ever used the other 10.

I gave my AE-1 to my son and he said "no thanks, I have a camera phone"
I wanted to cry :pale: :( :banghead:

I gave my AE-1 to my son and he said "no thanks, I have a camera phone"
I wanted to cry :pale: :( :banghead:

hahaha my dad gave me his AE-1 Program and its still my only film camera. Love that thing.

Most reactions

Back