Is a 6D the = of the Nikon D600?

hassiman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in the market for a new FF and M not invested in either system.

I have heard the optics and customer service is better with Canon but the NikonD600 has more DR.

I also know that some D600 bodies have had sensor dust problems.

Which should I buy?

I'm generally of the opinion that if either Canon or Nikon was truly better than the other, the lesser brand wouldn't have as good of a business as both do. For me, I learned on a Canon, so I was familiar with the system and the interface, so I went with a Canon. If you aren't invested in either, I would go to a good camera store and spend some time with both and decide that way. If you can't get to a camera store, pick it based on what is more important to you. I've never shot a Nikon so I can't really comment on what the true differences are, but I'm sure you can get plenty of opinions here. I know there are people who say that the optics are slightly better with Canon. I'm probably not good enough to notice the difference, and there are lots of people who take phenomenal pictures and make a good living with both.

Here is a review video by Jared polin that cover stills and video on the Canon 6D.

Last edited by a moderator:
$Canon 6D vs Nikon D600 DxO Mark.jpg

Pretty good for a Canon. Maybe some day Canon will be able to break the 13 EV barrier on Dynamic Range.

Yes it is, more important is the photographer and his vision, dont waste your time looking at charts its out in real life that matters, my best cameras have no auto focus light meter but are a joy to use and i get more shots in focus most rolls there are non out of focus

Of greater importance is which brand makes the lenses and other accessories (flash systems, etc.) you're likely to want, and which camera has the features you'll need.

Despite what the Dxo Mark says the 6D is much better than the D600 at high ISO levels. I don't have my test shots from the D600 anymore when I was doing research but here is a shot from my 6D at 20000 ISO and minimal noise reduction. The D600 has its advantages and so does the 6D so really what it comes down to is what trade offs are you willing to sacrifice. The ergonomics on the 6D are fantastic and while the AF system only has one cross type point that one cross type point is VERY good. For the type of photography that I do the 6D was a better choice.
$Example ISO.jpg

You sir has what I like to call rich people problems.
Its like asking what should I buy a Mercedes or BMW.

I cant afford either so I don't have your dilemma problem (wish I did).

Here are my thoughts and important points

1.Overall according to reviews I read and saw the D600 is the better camera
2.6D low light performance is amazing!!!
3.While the 6D low light performance is better the D600 low light performance are very, very good!!! probably more then what I will ever need for most occasions.
4.6D has no flash
5.D600 has in few of its cameras dust oil spec problems
6.As said by others D600 Dynamic Range is better then 6D
7.D600 has better AF system

You really cant go wrong with either.

If not for the oil/dust issue in very few of the D600 I would say with no hesitation go with the D600, that's the only thing that slightly bothers me.
This issue is really blown out of proportions, you really can clean the sensor yourself at home and after few thousand clicks it goes away and that in case you encounter the problem in the first place.
Again most D600 users don't have this dust/oil problem but it is important to add this to your overall argument pro and con with these cameras.

Good luck :)

On paper the D600 is the winner. In real life the 6d seems to do better than its specs suggest and there are a lot of happy 6d users. It has been said over and over that they are clise enough to both be good choices. I would in your shoes do a little research into the specs and what you need. I would make sure the brand has the specific lenses I wanted and err towards the one that suited

I think the canon 6D is one hell of a camera but 1 cross type in the autofocus and no on board flash really hurts it over the D600.However I really like the 6D with a 24-105 combo kit.

I think the canon 6D is one hell of a camera but 1 cross type in the autofocus and no on board flash really hurts it over the D600.However I really like the 6D with a 24-105 combo kit.

On board flash is overrated and that 1 cross type is VERY good. It is beating a dead horse but everyone has preferences and this is a very subjective question. However, I agree the 6D is a helluva camera. :D

On board flash is overrated and that 1 cross type is VERY good. It is beating a dead horse but everyone has preferences and this is a very subjective question. However, I agree the 6D is a helluva camera. :D

I want one.:mrgreen: I am not invested to far with Nikon either but I would still keep my D90 for some bird shots.

View attachment 51489

Pretty good for a Canon. Maybe some day Canon will be able to break the 13 EV barrier on Dynamic Range.

Because these numbers are, like, totally applicable to real world use.

The Nikon is better, I think, because Nikon really didn't try and gimp their 'lesser' full frame camera like Canon did, but there are better ways to determine this than by looking at DxOMark.

Most reactions

Back