Is a lens repair worth the price?

ElizaMM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased a Canon 7D a few years ago and only recently started to really use it, so it is long out of warranty. The lens, a Canon 24-105 Ultrasonic, has stopped working properly. It whirs and struggles, then displays a warning, saying that the lens and the camera cannot communicate. Cleaning the contacts, as advised, does not help. From what I have read on the Net, this a common problem with this lens and is generally the ribbon cable.

When I enquired about repairs, the minimum would be $200, which means it could go a lot higher. Is it worth it, at $300? $500? Can anyone give me a guess as to how many years I would get out of a repaired lens?

Canon would put it through very stringent testing during repair to ensure you have the very best lens returned to you. Other than the exterior finish or any defects you currently have in the glass, I would venture to say that it would be like new when returned to you, and that you could expect a very long life with it, as long as you take proper care of it.

Also, Canon repair will give you a quote so that you can decide whether to proceed with it, or to just be done with it and have them ship it back. Obviously if it's nearly as expensive as buying a new 24-105, you'd probably rather do that. Well, I would.

I love my 24-105. It's my go-to lens, the one that my camera is wearing most of the time.

I sent in my 70-200mm f/4 last December because the elements were off inside. They fixed it for something like $200 and I am very happy with the results. I bought it used and the repairs were nearly half the cost of what I paid for it but since I did not have the money to move up to a 70-200 f/2.8 then for me it was the right choice.

In general the worth of repairing a lens depends heavily on the lens & the cost to repair it. Some of the lenses I have wouldn't be worth the postage to/from repair. :aiwebs_016: Some lenses are still quite usable with a fault perhaps no AF but MF is fine, or aperture is jambed, in such cases it depends just how annoying the fault is to the user.

With Canon carrying out the repair I'd expect the lens after repair to be roughly equivalent to a new lens. If the repair cost is less than the cost a used version of the lens it seems worthwhile to me.

One other thing to consider is third party repairs. This is as you say a common problem - I've heard of it though I don't shoot canon at all. I sure most 3rd party service centres will be familiar witrh the fault & may repair it for substantially less than the OEM.

200+ dollars to repair a 1000 dollar lens would be worth it, IMO. I would be willing to go as high as 500 personally since a Canon refurb/repair would be likely as good as new.

That or you could sell me that hunk of junk for dirt cheap:D

In my nearest city there is a place, independent operator, were you can leave in lenses and other things, electronics. there boffins will give it a look over and will then give a quote based on what it'll take to fix it. Surely this is not a unique practise.

@BananaRepublic - Canon does the same thing. You send it in and they take a look at it and give you and estimate before they start fixing it, they need your approval.

Yes but the independents are generally much cheaper, and cover a much wider variety of gear. Some will sometimes fabricate/replace a component if the OEM module is no longer available...

I've had one occasion with a laboratory instrument where the OEM no longer had the parts to fix it saying we needed a new instrument (>£10,000) whilst a third party guy fixed it fine, and we got at least another two years life out of it. I don't remember the details anymore but I think the repair bill was only a couple of hundred. Unfortunately this guy has now retired :(

I would check used prices first, If you can fix it cheaper than buying a used one than yes but if you can buy a used one cheaper, than no.

I finally took my lens in for repair. Henry's (sent from there to Canon) was a little cheaper, but was an open-ended quote - $50 to look at it, plus minimum $259 (so it could only go up from that price) and at least six weeks turn-around. An independent in Ottawa, gave me a firm price of $360 and under a week's turn-around.

@BananaRepublic - Canon does the same thing. You send it in and they take a look at it and give you and estimate before they start fixing it, they need your approval.

Yes but the independents are generally much cheaper, and cover a much wider variety of gear. Some will sometimes fabricate/replace a component if the OEM module is no longer available...

I've had one occasion with a laboratory instrument where the OEM no longer had the parts to fix it saying we needed a new instrument (>£10,000) whilst a third party guy fixed it fine, and we got at least another two years life out of it. I don't remember the details anymore but I think the repair bill was only a couple of hundred. Unfortunately this guy has now retired :(

that's outside the US. In the US Canon charges a big premium for parts so it's usually more economical to send it to the "official" Canon. I've heard Nikon is the same way

Most reactions

New Topics

Back