Is an 18-300mm upgrade neccessary ?

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by NikonMania99, Jun 22, 2012.

1. domu221

domu221 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can I interrupt all your argument for a while... ok, i didn't want to start another new thread to seek help since I think this thread is hot and active enough to attract people.

I am also thinking about upgrading to the new 18-300mm. I currently have the 35mm f/1.8 and the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (including the 18-55mm kit that I just store in my shelf) and I am planning to replace the 16-85 with the 18-300 if it is worth it. Finding a buyer wont be of any difficulty for me and I have enough cash to add.

Will this produce better, worse, or the same image quality as the 16-85mm? I figure that the extra range could be useful in the city and the VR makes it even more attractive. considering more zoom = worse image quality.

2. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

domu221,

The question should be "Will the 18-300 be a better lens for me than the 16-85." Frankly, only you can answer that. Every lens design has compromises and thus is not suitable for everyone. That is the reason you can buy 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 all at f/2.8 and very expensive and heavy but with superb build and image quality, or buy one 'super zoom' for the versatility at the expense aperture, build and image quality. Only you, the purchaser and user, can decide.

Since you already have the 16-85 why don't you rent or borrow the 18-300 and do some comparison testing for yourself. If you can't rent then buy from a place with a return policy. If you like it you keep it, if not, you return it.

Anybody recommending one over the other is really only telling you what they would choose given the circumstances under which they would use it. But, they are not you and they don't do photography the same as you.

3. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Anyone who spends hard-earned money on anything based exclusively off the responses of one... or even a dozen... of "random internet yahoos"... gets what they deserve.

Do your own research.

Google the damn thing.

Read some reviews.

Check the analysis of the lens on any of a number of available reliable source websites.

Dur.

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    True, but it's also not an excuse for people talking out of their *** either.

5. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

It's the Internet. That's the modus operandi.