Is an Art Degree/Photography degree worth it?

I agree with the majority. Creativity is a talent, and that can't be taught. Only nurtured.

I'm currently finishing my Bachelor's degree in psychology, with a minor in english. I discovered my passion for photography two years ago, and it's taken me so far that I've been accepted into Master of Arts programs in photojournalism. I'm well aware that it may not lead to a giant paycheck, but it's what I want to do. Follow your passions. If you feel school is the next step in your photographic journey, then go. If not, then perhaps you will have other opportunities to pursue your interests. I can't tell you how excited I am to continue my education, and hone my skills in what sounds like a wonderful program. Depending on where you go, some schools will have fantastic support and workforce networking opportunities after you graduate. Corcoran, for example, has exciting opportunities through faculty and coursework.

Good luck with a decision!

Last edited:
I think isn´t necesary to have a degree... In Art/Photography or similar stuff, they will ask you for a portfolio of your jobs, they will see in there what you are made of, not in the title you have.
Beside that, i think it´s a good thing going to seminars, classes, etc... you learn a lot from professionals, things that you can´t get from internet. Last year i got a teacher that learn me a lot, all my photography learnings come from her, and beyond theoretical things, i get a lot of chat with her out of the university, her view of the world, she teach me like her philosophy and that opened my mind a lot.

Like any degree from any school, it is something you can hang on a wall, unfortunately it doesn't guarantee you a job at the end. I know several photographers that are doing very well that learned everything in school, but this was also 30 years ago when there weren't as many people looking to become professional photographers. What they did learn was studio lighting, something that can be learned from night school. From what I understand coming out of the photo schools in Canada, only 1% of the grads are still in photography a year after they finish school. Not very promising.

Like any degree from any school, it is something you can hang on a wall, unfortunately it doesn't guarantee you a job at the end. I know several photographers that are doing very well that learned everything in school, but this was also 30 years ago when there weren't as many people looking to become professional photographers. What they did learn was studio lighting, something that can be learned from night school. From what I understand coming out of the photo schools in Canada, only 1% of the grads are still in photography a year after they finish school. Not very promising.

A photo school certificate/degree will get you a photographer/technician position in a company or organization where your salary will be limited by the nature of your work.

A university degree in some area that stresses literacy in oral and written skills plus a broad approach to media production and utilization will lead to a media administration position if you go after one. You may have the power to define your own role in the organization as well as to go after a much higher salary.

A friend of mine went from photography and editing a company newsletter to a high 6 figure income as an executive troubleshooter in the same company.

skieur

Most reactions

Back